Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please talk me out of getting a pellet grill.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will admit, some of these gravity-fed smokers are catching my attention. I know very little about them, but it does look like the technology is starting to mature.

Comment

June is Birthday month so I’ll be using my gift cards and envelopes of cash to replace the pellet smoker lost in the Great Ice Storm. There is a Lonestar Grillz pellet smoker on my list, but I can’t get on their list until I pay off my house (hopefully it will be shorter by then). I’ve been eyeing a Masterbuilt charcoal smoker, kinda of a controlled cross between a pellet grill and a charcoal grill. Not quite the easy bake oven, but a better smoker which is how I’ll use it.

Comment

• Panhead John
        Panhead John commented
        Editing a comment
        Love your new avatar!😂 Very flattering …..your wife is one lucky lady!
        Last edited by Panhead John; May 31, 2021, 07:36 PM.

• TxF
        TxF commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m wearing my tiger house shoes, but unfortunately they wouldn’t fit in the picture, I’ll bring them to Rockdale and might wear them to Snow’s.

I've now spent the better part of a lazy evening reading about the Masterbuilt and Char-Griller gravity smokers. Very, very alluring.

I guess I should update everyone on where I am with my pellet grill decision. I'm still on the fence and I have one last experiment to do it see if I really want this.

I've recently switched over to using lump charcoal in my Weber Kettle and have been experimenting with extinguishing and relighting it. So far initial results are promising. Half (perhaps more than half) of the reasoning to get a pellet grill was to have quicker set up and shut down times for weeknight cooks. Lump may get me that at a fraction of the cost.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        The B&B charlogs can easily last for 20 hours at 250 but take 30 minutes to light and get to temp.

I can get to 700 in 13-15 minutes with B&B lump consistently. 400 in 10 usually.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Shut down is usually cool within 20 or whenever you are done eating.

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        I will say for safety you always need to check it is cool before moving it back in the garage! I didn’t get the sliders in all the way once and it was still hot...
        Last edited by STEbbq; May 31, 2021, 09:19 PM.

Can’t help you with any info on the gravity smokers but my long research into a pellet smoker ended with a purchase of the Grilla OG. It should be arriving this week. I chose the OG for its small footprint, Grilla’s customer service, the Alpha connect, the familiarity of a 22” cooking surface and that the thing looks frickin’ cool. It will sit on my deck with my 28” Blackstone and 22” Weber Kettle.

Comment

Im now so close to pulling the trigger on a chimp. Hate all y’all. It would mean getting rid of my PKO but the kettle kinda covers that.
        Last edited by grantgallagher; May 31, 2021, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Thanks a lot gang. There I was perfectly happy with my two-month old Yoder YS640S and along came this thread. Now I'm wondering if I should look into a gravity smoke, how to rationalize one to myself, and how to sell the idea to my wife. Yup, thanks a lot.

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            I am glad that we could be of service!

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes sir, as much as it pains us to, we will begrudgingly give our opinions and recommendations….. ..occasionally.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here