Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 MAK 2 Star assembled and burned in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2019 MAK 2 Star assembled and burned in...

It’s here, assembled and the burn-in complete!! Did the burn-in this past weekend. Got the MAK Grills Mobile WiFi up and running yesterday. Spent some considerable time just letting the MAK hum along with WiFi engaged yesterday afternoon/evening. To be completely honest, based on my previous experience with MAK Grills Mobile (WiFi module), I was nervous as I didn’t want my high hopes to come crashing down... yeah, I went into this 2nd MGM experience with my knees already shaking based of my last go-round. Well, I am beyond thrilled that my MAK quietly hummed along for hours on end with not a hiccup. That was NEVER the case with my previous experience(s). As of this first extended test, I would have to say that MAK has ironed out the "time-out/disconnect" wrinkles. Nicely done MAK!!!

Tonight we broke her in with Tri-Tip, followed by MAK baked shepherds pie tomorrow, followed by zesty lemon flap steak over zoodles on Friday, followed by TBD on Saturday, followed by 17 lbs of Crowd Cow beef short ribs on Sunday. Lookin’ forward to a great week of getting to know her! [emoji846]

Here’s a few pics. Hard to believe that the 2019’s offer over 1600 sq” of cooking space. There is an easy 2.5” between the lower 3 grates and a bit more between the top grate and lid. Plenty of space on all grates for ribs, tri-tips, chicken parts, jerky, bacon, wings, anything low profile, etc. Honestly, I thought that MAK had the 2017-18’s pretty dialed in... which they DID! But they did it again... they went and made an amazing cooker even more amazing. Absolutely loving the improvements and I haven’t even cooked on it yet... all you have to do is look at them... they just make sense! I also decided to replace my old MAK sear grates with their new anodized aluminum version (also pictured below).

Attached Files

NICE!! I love the sturdy grates, the whole unit looks like it will last forever. Is it possible to remove one grate if you want to do brisket? I’m asking since you mentioned that the distance only allows for low profile meats. Either way, congrats on he new cooker, and way to break it in!

Comment

Originally posted by Henrik View Post
      NICE!! I love the sturdy grates, the whole unit looks like it will last forever. Is it possible to remove one grate if you want to do brisket? I’m asking since you mentioned that the distance only allows for low profile meats. Either way, congrats on he new cooker, and way to break it in!
      Thanks! Yes, MAK’s are definitely a lifetime cooker... that is unless you sell one to buy the latest... lol. As far as the grates, yes they are all removable. Looking at the pics, if you remove the 2nd and 4th grates, you are left with two 429 sq” grates (858 sq” total) with tons of headroom above each grate. Prior to the additional grates on the 2019 models, that was all that was available through MAK... which because of the headroom I was always amazed at how much BIG meat I could fit. On those two grates alone, you’d be able to fit 8 good sized butts or 4 decent sized briskets just to give you an idea.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! Now that sure sounds like a winner in my book.

Nice! Did it come with 3 temp probes?

Comment

• rwalters
        rwalters commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! It comes w/ 1 k-style probe. Thermoworks had a recent sale where I picked up another one... plus I already had a couple of k-probes. Good to go

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        That is interesting that Mak does not sell the probe style they used on their grills. I could not find it on their site.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        JimLinebarger they just listed the new grill a couple days ago, I would guess in the long term they would offer them. Then again, they are much more widely available than their previous probe style, so maybe they won't.

Congrats on the new MAK. Awesome write up and pics! Thanks for sharing. One of these are at the top of the list when it's time to replace my 2007 Traeger.

Keep 'the updates coming as you put it through its paces the rest of the week. Maybe chicken or salmon for Saturday . Have fun.

Comment

• rwalters
        rwalters commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! Were Traeger’s still being manufactured in the US back in 07? Can’t remember the year that stopped. Let’s see a recent pic of old faithful

Congrats on the new cooker, and the success with wifi.

Comment

Looks great Rob. Enjoy!
        I'd love that third rack for making jerky.

Comment

That is one fine lookin rig, the grates got me also. Many great cooks to ya! 👍👍👍. 🕶

Comment

I am a recent MAK 1 star owner. Am am jealous of all that real estate. And the flame zone. I also installed the wifi add on and found it pretty easy except I had to drill a hole. The things I like the most about MAK are the even temperature throughout the cook chamber, the smoky flavor of the final product, and that I can easily dump the pellets.

Congratulations

Comment

• rwalters
              rwalters commented
              Editing a comment
              I started with a 2010 1 Star... SN #69. It’s a fantastic machine... a smoking beast!

• RTBBQ
              RTBBQ commented
              Editing a comment
              rwalters ... I have either SN 72 or SN 78. Will have to check when I get home.

Gorgeous! Way to go buddy!

Comment

That is a pretty, pretty sight.

Comment

Looking good.
                Enjoy.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Originally posted by rwalters View Post
                    Nice! Were Traeger’s still being manufactured in the US back in 07? Can’t remember the year that stopped. Let’s see a recent pic of old faithful

Yes it's US made! Back then, it was one of only a few companies that made pellet smokers.

Here's a shot Old Faithful as requested...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0397.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	452.2 KB
ID:	666805

Comment

• FireMan
                      FireMan commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Good name!

Can hardly see Old Faithful... lol. Why wait for him to die... he’d probably get along quite well with a new friend...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• T-bone
                      T-bone commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’m sure he would LOL. However my wallet and more importantly wife say it’s a bad idea. 🤨

• rwalters
                      rwalters commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I get it, trust me. Yes dear

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here