Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Grate size for 2*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Grate size for 2*

Think I'm going to buy some GrillGrates for the 2* I'm waiting for. I've read that you should not block "too much" surface space; so looking for thoughts on how deep I can go. GG site recommends the 17.375" grates.

Best I can tell that would leave about 1" front and back. Is that reasonable?

Thanks.

The makers of the grill, what do they know?
    I like my Grillgrates. In fact, the plan tomorrow is to reverse sear 2.5lbs Tomahawk on my Trager using Grillgrates.

Comment

IMO I am not a fan of them on the MAK. They slide around too much because you can't get the full length fit ones. I ended up giving mine away. They worked great sear wise, just a pain to use and clean. If you're adamant about them, the zone to avoid overhanging is the entire circumference of the flame zone, so roughly an inch.

I know MAKs searing grates are a little pricey, and they don't have a flat griddle like zone. But I would consider them for grilling and just use a cast iron pan or a griddle for flat things.
      Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; April 14, 2022, 08:08 PM.

Comment

• rickd972
        rickd972 commented
        Editing a comment
        yes I consider MAK, but would then think of getting the griddle as well; so really pricey. Maybe I'll just consider a cast iron pan/griddle; should be able to do both.

Getting bored waiting for the new unit!

Honestly, they’re really not needed on a MAK. I would try without first for a while. They more beneficial on grills like Traegers that have no direct flame option or on gassers to prevent flare ups. If you do decide to try them, I’d keep them to the size of the drip pan or smaller.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
        Honestly, they’re really not needed on a MAK. I would try without first for a while. They more beneficial on grills like Traegers that have no direct flame option or on gassers to prevent flare ups. If you do decide to try them, I’d keep them to the size of the drip pan or smaller.
        Probably a good idea I suppose. I was hoping with GG (or the MAK sear grate); I could get good searing w/o waiting for the grill to get to 450+. many users (regardless of grill) appear to get grate temps 100 or so greater than the normal grates. I certainly have no way to verify that; but tend to believe based upon the great number of tests/validations shared.

But; I guess if I decide I want them; they only take a couple days to get. Maybe I'll just wait and see.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
          Editing a comment
          The MAK gets to 450 VERY fast, now 450 to 600 can take a while depending on pellets and weather, but you can grill most thinks on the stock grates at 450 no problem, you just won't get a solid sear without sear grates or cast iron.

I researched these a while ago, and found no reason to get them. MAK grills default to good grilling, and their grill grates work really well. I have had 600+ on them, so why get something which reduces aire flow and increases problems?

Comment

• rickd972
          rickd972 commented
          Editing a comment
          GlassHalfFullAz, when you say "grill grates", are you referring to the standard grates? Or the "searing grate"?

• GlassHalfFullAz
          GlassHalfFullAz commented
          Editing a comment
          I was referring to the brand name grill grates. The mak grilling sear grates work really well. I still find the normal mak grates work for me most of the time.

You know, the more I think about this, I forget that I have the sear grate and use it when I do try to sear steaks on the MAK. I really have only done it a few times though as I usually just fire up the gasser to sear after smoking on the MAK or just cook the steaks on charcoal. The MAK does well grilling lots of things with the stock grates, but to really do steaks and chops well you will probably want something to help. Whether it’s their sear grate, GrillGrates, a cast iron pan or griddle, etc.

The MAK sear grate is pretty pricy, but works fairly well without the headaches already mentioned about GrillGrate searing stations, mostly the sliding around. However, GrillGrates would probably perform a touch better. I’m happier with the stability and easy cleaning of the sear grate.

If your thinking about the MAK griddle, it’s fine but definitely has some downsides. It’s not good for smash burgers because it’s recessed. You can only do about 3-4 in the 1/2 griddle. It also doesn’t drain any grease.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here