Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to buy - questions for you MAK owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking to buy - questions for you MAK owners

First of all; was thinking a new pellet grill would replace either my Primo or gasser; but have realized among this crowd (yes I'm new here) one can never have too many! So maybe I'm just adding.... will see.

Anyway; prior to looking at a MAK, I was convinced I wanted only a pellet grill such as yoder with the firepot to one side vs middle. My only experience smoking is with the Primo; and even with heat deflectors, I find on long cooks (typically brisket) I still end up with a little "crispy" bottom. I can and sometimes do flip; but have found the best luck just using a water pan underneath for at least a few hours. Then I got lazy and just kept the water pan in the entire cook though sometimes this seems to prevent the nice firm bark and remains a little too mushy (I guess a fine line between firm bark and crisp...)

Anyway; I've watched a few videos and it does seem when folks either flip or just check brisket hours into the cook; there is clearly some radiant heat and "sizzle" noise.

Do you find this an issue? Guess I could continue using water pan and place protein on one of the upper two full length shelfs.

Thinking I do like the stainless approach; even though a somewhat small cooking area; though I think I would be very satisfied with either unit.

1st I think you will find that MAK actually has one of the largest grilling areas of any pellet grill. For smoking you can get a ton of meat in the thing because unlike most other grills with racks, with the MAK you mostly retain headroom with only 2 racks. You can easily do 8 10+lb pork butts, maybe 10 to 12 smaller ones, 2-4 briskets depending on their size, up to 16 racks of ribs, 8 spatchcock chickens, etc... Obviously if you use all 4 racks you are only getting chicken, or a ton of ribs, or jerky on them.

I don't do brisket often, but when not fully loading my MAK I tend to cook on the 2nd or 3rd grate height, I've never needed a water pan.

These posts might help ya

Don't let the MAKs size fool ya - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

This one is just to showcase the new 2-star with all the racks

Got a new toy - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Glitchy's MAK 2 Star First (cooking) Impressions - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

One crazy man's way though choosing a Premium pellet grill - Pitmaster Club (amazingribs.com)

Comment

• rickd972
      rickd972 commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the links and comments!

** edited ** - bunch of good data/comments in those links; thanks.
      Last edited by rickd972; April 1, 2022, 10:42 AM.

I do most of my cooking on the first rack up unless I need all the capacity or want to sear a steak. I even ‘grill’ often on that level. I do this to avoid the radiant heat while smoking and flare ups while grilling. The other benefit I’ve found is I can put a pan on the first shelf then to make clean-up easier when smoking.

Id start with a full rack for the chosen included second rack and buy a 3/4 rack additionally. then you can use the first upper and top slots when you need capacity. A full rack doesn’t fit the top slot.

Ive only had mine a year and haven’t needed to test the capacity yet, but as mentioned above it can hold a lot. I generally never use a water pan.

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      That info is based upon the 2 Star. The 1 Star only has one upper shelf slot. The 2 Star versus the 2 Star all SS, is personal preference. If you're close to the ocean, it's probably more warranting of considering the SS, inland the regular is SS where it counts and aluminized steel on the cabinet, pellet hopper, and cold smoker box. The aluminized steel should resist rusting. The 1 Star I believe uses the same aluminized steel except for the interior components that are SS.

• rickd972
      rickd972 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks glitchy, yes I read your journey with pleasure as it feels very much like my own.

Trager XL if you have close to 4 grand LOL

Comment

• rickd972
      rickd972 commented
      Editing a comment
      yes; was surprised to see that XL price tag. seems all are getting pricy.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      over 5 grand with all the accessories, most of which the grill is nothing special without.

I have never needed to flip or move meats around in my MAK. Never have an issue with food getting a "hot zone" on the bottom of the food. It truly is "set it and forget it" other than having 1 or 2 meat probes to measure internal temps.

Comment

Similar to glitchy I tend to use upper rack on my 2-star and put a foil pan (without water) under the meat to catch drippings. I got into the habit both bc I got tired of cleaning or foiling the flamezone pan, and because I was getting charred undersides esp when cooking at highish temps (and I love using my MAK at higher temps). I think this effect magnified when grease dripped onto the flamezone pan and sizzled.

In practice I'm almost never cooking so much that I need both racks. And I've never had an issue using the upper rack.

My model is older though (eg only one upper rack), and I haven't re-experimented using the lower level since doing some upgrades.

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Well das85 If your OG, then they used to have an upgrade program for that too . I’m new to the party and haven’t tracked every change they’ve made, but thought they had methods to get current. Some not as cheap as others.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        das85 yeah no can do with the side vents. Like glitchy said, they did have a legacy upgrade program if you lived close enough you could bring the grill in person and leave with something newer. Not sure what the actual cost was/is but the folks who did it said it was quite the deal.

• das85
        das85 commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Thanks, shouldn't surprise me at this point that they have that! I am about 3000 miles away so not gonna happen for me but I am also very happy with what I have! It's always just fun to ogle the new features etc.

I did upgrade to new firmware recently btw and certainly noticed much more smoke at high temp, but have only cooked on it once since the upgrade so no real reaction yet.

Once I found out how the MAK is very efficient, I now use slightly lower temps, never get crisply bottoms, and never need to continuously flip, I just flip once for. I use the lowest rack location for quicker cooks, like chicken thighs, and higher for longer or lower temp cooks.

For pizza I have my steel on the lowest rack, and a cast iron pizza sized pan on the highest, to reflect heat on the toppings. I have never needed a water pan, and don't use a pan to catch drippings, since the stainless cleans so easily.

I also find I cook more veggies and jacket potatoes since there are no hot spots, than I have before.

In summary, I have more fun, easier cleanup, and better outcomes with the 2* than any of the other five smokers I have used.

Comment

Originally posted by GlassHalfFullAz View Post
        Once I found out how the MAK is very efficient, I now use slightly lower temps, never get crisply bottoms, and never need to continuously flip, I just flip once for. I use the lowest rack location for quicker cooks, like chicken thighs, and higher for longer or lower temp cooks.

For pizza I have my steel on the lowest rack, and a cast iron pizza sized pan on the highest, to reflect heat on the toppings. I have never needed a water pan, and don't use a pan to catch drippings, since the stainless cleans so easily.

I also find I cook more veggies and jacket potatoes since there are no hot spots, than I have before.

In summary, I have more fun, easier cleanup, and better outcomes with the 2* than any of the other five smokers I have used.
        LIke the "cast iron pan" above for pizza! will need to try that.

Comment

no longer "looking"...order placed.

Comment

• GlassHalfFullAz
            GlassHalfFullAz commented
            Editing a comment
            Welcome to the MAK family!

• willxfmr
            willxfmr commented
            Editing a comment
            WOOHOO!

• T-bone
            T-bone commented
            Editing a comment
            Congrats! Great choice. I've had mine for 9 months and have zero regrets. It's an awesome cooking machine.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here