Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building my new 2 star mak gone wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building my new 2 star mak gone wrong

Hello!

While I wait for support (it's the weekend after all) I thought I'd ask here in case anyone has recently build a MAK grill and might know where I'm going wrong.

After lifting the body into the legs I noticed there's 4 holes for screws in each "corner" of the grill (if you're looking inside). I've attached a picture with the screw holes circled. That makes for 16 holes (by my counting!) from the body to the legs, but the instructions say:

"attach grill body to cart assembly using eight 1/4-20x1/2" screws with lock washers; there wil lbe two screws per leg on the outside and two screws per leg on the inside; nuts are welded to the legs.

Are the "side holes" air holes for smoke/air exchange, or am I meant to be able to fill all 16 holes? No matter how I do the math there are not enough lock washers (by design) to achieve this. However, the instructions also use 5 flat washers and provide 4, so I'm not confident anymore that the instructions are up to date!

Anyone know what I'm supposed to be doing here? I'm so close to finished with this build
    Attached Files

Should be 8 allenhead with lock washer and then 8 more with nuts for the outside of the legs

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211113_153444.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	1125419

Name:	20211113_153436.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	149.8 KB
ID:	1125420

Comment

The 8 flat washers go like this

Name:	20211113_154044.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1125424

Comment

So the instructions are correct, maybe just worded a hair confusing.

Name:	20211113_154354.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1125426

Comment

The weirdest thing is I don't have enough lock washers - it ships with 32 and I used:

4 for the legs
          6 for the back plate
          8 for the body (with 8 left undone)
          5 for the smoker box
          2 for the main handle

That's 25 washers and i'd need 8 for the 8 other holes I didn't fill (but I only have 7). At least I'm on the right track, I'm just gonna go dig around and scrounge up another lock washer from the depths of my garage and just figure it out.

I was definitely confused as it ships with 4 flat washers (and requires 5) and 32 lock washers (requires 33) unless my math is terrible. I even made a spreadsheet to validate where all the pieces go and prove to myself it doesn't quite ship with enough pieces.

I'm still thrown as the instructions clearly say "use 8 screws to attach the body to the legs" when you really need 16, either way I definitely appreciate the pictures as it validates I really do want all holes filled! I was starting to doubt myself.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            they mean 8 inside and 8 outside, that's what 2 per leg inside (8) and 2 per leg outside (8) means (16). I agree it could be worded better.

Maybe the outsides are lock washers, I'll go pop one off and double check for you. MAK rarely masses up when it comes to hardware, but they do have a few new people on the team so it's possible.

Yeah outsides are lock washers, sorry for the confusion. Mine were all perfectly turned to the rear so didn't see the slit.

Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; November 13, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Comment

Double check your uses, should only be 32 lock washers used.

Name:	20211113_160506.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	1125439

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here