Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mak 2-Star, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heraldstorm
    replied
    An exciting update! I expect to be receiving a controller tomorrow that has tested well at all temperature ranges, except for around 250. I will be testing the controller in my current grill, to validate the tests done by MAK. This won't be my permanent controller, and MAK has reported that they have found a potential cause of the problems they're seeing in the recently redesigned controllers.

Out of respect for the employees of MAK and their partners, I'm not going to publicly share the issue as told to me. This is my decision, and I have not been asked to withhold this information by MAK. They have worked very hard to get to the bottom of this problem, and they deserve a chance to fix this and develop a plan to remediate any problematic controllers on their own. I have certainly been candid about my experience, and this particular detail doesn't add much of anything to the conversation.

I will also be receiving the front shelf I ordered. This leaves only the front door pending delivery, and the final controller, fully working at all temperatures. I'm hopeful that this can be done without having to ship entire grill assemblies, and that it truly is a problem in the controller.

By sending me this controller, if it does work as they claim, MAK will give me the use of the grill immediately, at all the temperatures that I would currently be interested in operating at. I will send a message tomorrow to MAK asking for help with the company hosting the Web Application, so that I can get my password reset and test the web control functionality. I have certainly informed MAK of the problems I've had with that application, and more specifically, the company hosting the application, as it appears that MAK doesn't administer the system themselves.

I'm impressed by the dedication and diligence that MAK has shown in getting to the bottom of the issues they've had, and I hope this period of "downtime" restores MAK to the kingly position they previously held in the industry. While my experience has not been what would be considered "good", they have worked very hard to rectify the situation.

I'll post more once I've been able to test the replacement controller. Maybe, just maybe, the end of this mess is in sight!
    Last edited by heraldstorm; October 7, 2021, 09:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    heraldstorm I Googled N NM climate and all I can say is I probably would not own any long pants if I lived there I know that’s pretty generic and your specific location could be different, but if you’re daytime highs are above freezing your MAK will not care in the tiniest bit that it’s 45 degrees vs 90. However, I can appreciate that you might care a lot being used to warmer weather. You’re also not alone jfmorris is scared of the dark AND temps below 50 😂
    Last edited by glitchy; October 4, 2021, 11:22 PM.

• heraldstorm
    commented on 's reply
    I'll be grilling but winter smoking around here isn't good for much else than COLD smoking =-)

• heraldstorm
    commented on 's reply
    I still have the original grill they shipped to me. Certain parts or the whole thing will be returned when they ship the unit they are testing for me. I don't know if it will take the rest of the year, but I normally use my propane grill during the winter, and it will certainly be that cold in a few weeks. I'll try it to make sure it works, but our bbq season is about done.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    The supply chain stuff hit just as they cancelled their old controller and made wifi standard. The standard wifi is actually a whole new board not just their old board with the wifi module. I don't know it that has anything to do with it, but I suspect it might. Good news is, if it's solely something to do with firmware, they will nail it down. If it's something else, it's gonna be a big hiccup for them to overcome.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    They recently updated their controller and I’m wondering with the chip shortages if the ran out of old early and got new late limiting the testing they were able to do without delaying shipments even longer.

• BBQPhil
    replied
    So strange. You’d think a product that’s been shipped for an extended time has already been fully tested.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    Next year? I got my MAK in February in Iowa and started using it right away. Anyway, glad they’re determined to get it working great before shipping to you and hope you’re right that it benefits everyone going forward.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    We have my 2 star rock solid 225 and up, and for the most part it's holding 175-180 on smoke mode except in random weather situations. Not as solid as my old 2 star which would do 165-175 year round regardless or wind or ambient. So yeah something changed mechanically or software or a combination...

BUT, I use my MAK year round, and we have folks nation wide who do too. No blankets, wind breaks, etc... the MAK body design handles 20f-110f ambient very well. Thats my average temps, people in colder climates haven't posted blankets or anything that I've seen.

Leave a comment:

• STEbbq
    commented on 's reply
    Your MAK has been shipped back?

• STEbbq
    replied
    What are ya talking about? 12 months year I smoke and grill!
    Last edited by STEbbq; October 3, 2021, 07:07 PM.

Leave a comment:

• rickgregory
    replied
    The biggest downer for me is that I've pretty much missed the season for this year, and I likely won't get to do much with it until next year. I'll just have to have something to look forward to in the spring!
    ALL GRILL ALL YEAR!

Leave a comment:

• heraldstorm
    replied
    Hi friends, sorry I haven't posted any updates. At this point, the testing team is quite confident in their ability to achieve and accurately hold higher temps. The main thing they are working on is the very low temps at the "smoke" setting, which is around 200 deg F. I'm not sure if the grill isn't getting down low enough, or if they're having flame outs, but they're still working on it. At this point, they've tested every combination of relevant grill components and controllers. They've been playing with both newer and older versions of the firmware. They have, essentially, gone through methodically from every step in the grill from pellet intake to ignition, to temperature sensing and component control via the controller and firmware.

They are now bringing in the controller designers and manufacturers to make sure that everything is working together to maintain proper temperatures at all ranges.

Unfortunately, this really does seem like a larger issue at MAK, as I'm sure they've had their entire inventory at their disposal for this testing process. They have indeed gotten everything knocked down except for the "smoke" temp, but I think the end result for all of this will be a more solid product from design, all the way through manufacture, and everyone will benefit from the work that's being done.

I'm just relieved the company is willing to work through all of this and ultimately honor my original purchase. I don't mind waiting, as long as the company is willing to acknowledge their problems, and fix the root causes. The biggest downer for me is that I've pretty much missed the season for this year, and I likely won't get to do much with it until next year. I'll just have to have something to look forward to in the spring!

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    I was going to ask too, but hoping the new grill is en route. FedEx Freight can be SLOW.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Any updates? Hoping this all worked out for you.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here