Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Mak 2-Star, need help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heraldstorm
    replied
    Welllllll, It seems they are actually still finalizing things after all. I jumped on to give my update, and a few hours later I got a note saying that the new firmware code package is a bit too large to fit in the production controllers. They're working on compressing it and will then need to run further tests to verify that the controller still does work as planned. I may get mine sent out tomorrow, after all, but I definitely won't be able to test it until next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    replied
    Ooops, I responded too soon to your latest update. Dennis had messaged me today (I missed the email) and they already sent me a firmware update module. So hopefully I'll be posting results of that soon. Might be a software issue after all.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    Awesome!

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    Redwng when they integrated the wifi, the entire PCB on the controller changed... but the problems haven't been with every controller, or at least with every owner, so they weren't sure it was a problem with the controller. I don't blame them, they went through normal trouble shooting with other owners, and those owners were happy with results, so why investigate further?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    Awesome, I stopped bugging Dennis when they figured out the new PCB on the pellet boss might be the culprit, I'll have to reach out and see if I can get a fixed version too. I've been enjoying my new MAK, and with meat prices being what they are I haven't been doing jerky as much so the sub 225 problems haven't been bothering me

• Redwng
    commented on 's reply
    Unbelievable the trek you have been through.....what exactly did they tell you was the root cause?

• heraldstorm
    commented on 's reply
    Sid P I was very close to doing just that, but with the very loyal following the company has, and the tremendous reviews their pellet grills receive, I had to believe that all of that trust and happiness was not poorly placed. I do want the grill that everyone raves about, and with the features that are advertised a lot more than I want my money back. I have other backup options, so I decided to wait. I just hope all the waiting will be worth it!

• Sid P
    commented on 's reply
    I still have my fingers crossed. Kudos to you for being very patient with them - a lot of us would have demanded a refund long ago.

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Great news!

Leave a comment:

• heraldstorm
    replied
    Hi friends!! It's actually been two updates from MAK since I've posted. They believe they have found the root cause of what's causing the temp craziness. This, in addition to fine tuning some of the other settings in the firmware seem to have resulted in a much more stable Pit Boss controller module. Dennis has been testing it all week, and it seems to be running smoothly. They are sending me the updated module for testing today, and if I can get it on Saturday, I will test with it

Halloween is a big deal at our house, so I won't be able to cook on the grill until next weekend (as long as the test goes well), but I absolutely will post the test results, and hopefully I'll have a first cook to show everyone next weekend.

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    I would give you the settings I have that stopped the overshoot, but it will be slightly different for you since the all stainless 2 start has it's own setting. Dennis will likely provide you the normal 2 star settings that worked for another customer.

• heraldstorm
    replied
    I only have a minute, so I'll keep this short, but I wanted to fill in those following the thread on the results of my testing over the weekend. I did find this controller's behavior much better. I will also say that there is a lot of room for improvement. The grill no longer goes into runaway heat mode. Neither does it run up to 250 and stop. It does take about 45 minutes to settle in at a temperature, and most of the temperatures are off by around 20 degrees (low) when compared to what my Tappecue says. I took a bunch of pictures and logs, and emailed them in to MAK. They are still working on it, and I was told Dennis has a dedicated grill continuously set up and running outside their shop, and they are working on getting thing right.

Gotta run, but I wanted to mention there is progress!!

Leave a comment:

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
    commented on 's reply
    I had communications with Dennis yesterday and also decided not to post the "what" about the controller, but I also had a high suspicion that the entire new PCB layout and built in wi-fi MIGHT have something to do with the issues I was having. I'm just glad that I'm not crazy. For the most part my MAK is currently running like it's supposed to 165-600+ but every once in a while on the smoke setting it doesn't want to play nice.

• DavidNorcross
    commented on 's reply
    This is good news. They should be commended for their efforts and you should be commended for your patience!

• willxfmr
    commented on 's reply
    This has certainly been a saga. Thanks for sharing it with us. It's good to hear that MAK has stepped up to make things right.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here