Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trouble w temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trouble w temps

Hi - wondering if anyone has some insight. Ive had a mak one star for a few years and I find I have trouble getting the temp up to around 350 when cooking chicken, turkey, etc. I don't seem to have trouble when testing when it's empty, but if I try smoking at 250 for a while the bumping it up, it climbs very very slowly and then seems to stall around 285-90. Is this a pellet brand issue? Should I not use a drip pan below the chicken on the top rack (blocking heat?).

Where are you checking temps and what are you setting the controller to? If you're setting the controller to 350 and using a drip pan, that's likely all it is. The air is deflecting around the pan and making it hotter by the RTD. I usually put my Fireboard on the rack with the food and adjust the controller to get what I want at that spot. Sometimes I using the MAK roaming thermocouple, usually it just stays in its spot though and I adjust high or low to get what I want near the food.

Comment

• Primo
      Primo commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry I didn't put my comment as a reply and thanks for responding: I don't have the roaming thermocouple
      so it is in its regular spot. And I'm just using the mak controller. Yesterday I had the chicken on the upper rack on left side w drip pan below it. Even when I bumped the set temp to 375 it wasn't getting above 300. I guess I can try doing that on the right side, or conversely testing temp w FireBoard where the food is.

I don't have the roaming thermocouple so it is in its regular spot. And I'm just using the mail controller. Yesterday I had the chicken on the upper rack on left side w drip pan below it. Even when I bumped the set temp to 375 it wasn't getting above 300. I guess I ca try doing that on the right side, or conversely testing temp w FireBoard where the food is...

Comment

So you say it's an older 1 Star, how old is it? A pic would help. Anyway I'm going to guess you don't have the newest firmware and you probably don't have the flamezone? The 1 star was sold as a solid smoker, and it is, but the older ones with the stock heat deflector and older firmware won't climb fast from smoke temp to a grilling temp.

Comment

• Primo
        Primo commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, It's from 2017, although I have a new pit controller on it; no flame zone. I'm also wondering if my using some really old pellets may have affected this...

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
        Editing a comment
        Primo yeah, old pellets could be the culprit. You say new controller... but if you are running new firmware (within the last 12 months) it is assuming you have a flamezone since that is standard now.

• Primo
        Primo commented
        Editing a comment
        Well that's an interesting point, about the controller - I've ordered new pellets so I'll see if they solves things- otherwise I have to follow up w Mak about the firmware.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here