Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

MAK Two-Star General, larger Casters, current model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MAK Two-Star General, larger Casters, current model

What are your thoughts of the stock 3 inch casters that come on MAK Grills? I read some posts on a MAK Facebook page of people that have replaced the stock casters with 5 inch and in one case even larger.

I have 3 inch casters on my LYNX Propane Grill and moving the grill around on my stamped concrete patio can be done but it isn't ideal

I am having a shed built and want to roll my Two-Star across the patio, over 15 yards of lawn and up a small ramp for occasional storage in the shed.

Curious if anyone has changed their casters and if is worth the trouble.

I've found two sources that I'm confident will work.

* Finish: Stainless steel to resist corrosion. * Construction: Heavy gauge stainless steel, for strength. * Dust Cap: On all swivel casters to protect the ra...

Still identifying the appropriate model with the below company.

www.casterconnection.com

Thanks

Personally, if it's for a one time movement per year just chuck some cardboard or plywood down

As to casters I dunno. A few folks on the MAK FB have posted part numbers in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs View Post
      Personally, if it's for a one time movement per year just chuck some cardboard or plywood down

As to casters I dunno. A few folks on the MAK FB have posted part numbers in the past.
      I would want to store on a regular basis, not once a year. And yes, I saw those Facebook posts and seems both part numbers are no longer valid but the first link is to the correct part per the supplier. It would need a mounting bolt added.

Thanks

Comment

Those casters still seem narrow for going across a yard to me. I'd probably want something more like what Grilla put on their AT cart. These probably wouldn't work for the MAK, but should serve for the idea: https://store.grillagrills.com/produ...lla-pro-wheels

Comment

I just paced off how far I need to roll over the lawn and it is closer to 10 yards. I am an obsessive lawn guy and rolling over it is more like rolling over a firm golf fairway. I have a pure Fine Fescue lawn on firm sandy soil cut at 3/4 inch that would allow me to roll over even when damp. It may even be easier to roll over than the stamped concrete.

The second link I posted is the supplier MAK recommended and I am still waiting to confirm the correct model. They have larger options but I think 5 inch would be about right and wouldn't change the appearance of the MAK much. I'm not getting my MAK for a few weeks and while it might make sense to try out the standard casters first it would be a lot easier to replace the casters before assembling the grill.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Landscape_06192018.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	1049413

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
            ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
            Editing a comment
            For what it's worth, the caster bolt holes are almost as accessible once assembled so with a 2x4 or similar block to support while swapping wheels wouldn't be overly difficult. Hope you find the wheels you need with minimal frustration though I am surprised MAK doesn't offer an "offroad" kit considering a few BBQ comp teams are using MAKs.

Awesome backyard.

Rob

Comment

The first 5" casters Caster Connection sent me didn't have the brakes I ordered and came with orange wheels. They quickly corrected the misunderstanding and I received the ones I expected today and they are very high quality. Click image for larger version

Name:	CasterConnection_5_inch_1000p.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	1075573

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              those looks much better, hope they serve your needs and then some.

I needed to remove the back to install them and a slightly shorter stem would have made it easier to work a socket but other than being a tight space to work in, very easy. It would have been easier if the casters had arrived before the grill as I hoped. Click image for larger version

Name:	5_inch_casters_MAK_1000p.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	1075960

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              They look great on the grill, I notice your grease tray is missing the handle? Was that by choice or was there an oops in shipping?

• Midway
              Midway commented
              Editing a comment
              ItsAllGoneToTheDogs I must have missed the grease tray handle installation in the manual. I have it but had assumed it was for my backordered door. I'll go put it on. Thanks.

• Dan Deter
              Dan Deter commented
              Editing a comment
              A few years back my kid gave me a set of pass through sockets for those things that are too long for a regular socket to work with. One of the best gifts I've gotten!

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here