Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Front Shelf Accessory on MAK 2 Star

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Shelf Accessory on MAK 2 Star

Hello All, I am considering purchasing some accessories for my MAK, provided there is a Memorial Day weekend sale and am considering the front shelf. Has anyone purchased it and not liked it? Once concern about the shelf is that a bunch of gunk builds up where it abuts the front panel. I have been looking online at many posts, but don’t see many of the front shelves on the grill. Any thoughts are appreciated!

Welcome to the talking side of the pit! I’m going to follow your thread because I have the same questions and was thinking about getting a shelf and sear grate if there is a good sale.

Comment

Thanks glitchy! I’ve been lurking for too long.

Comment

Welcome to the posting side of The Pit.

Comment

Hello from NW Oregon,
          Happy Grilling to you and PBR too

Comment

Generally Big Poppa Smokers will run the same % off accessories that MAK does and sometimes off the grills themselves and sometimes they will also do double points both do something generally 2x a year, unless MAK is making a model change then they kinda do a "clearance" sale on the grills of course. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for double points, since I have a pretty darn big purchase to make this week...

As to the shelf, dunno... I see quite a few folks enjoying it but more for a tin foil roll holder as opposed to paper towel roll holder though, and that makes sense to me... Personally I've always found the 2 Stars hopper and (temp dependent) warming box to be adequate for most of my cooks as staging areas for cook ware or whatever. Like you I wonder about keeping that gap clean, but the shelf drops down I think? So should be just as easy to clean.

The sear grate however is in my sights. I liked the after market grillgrates with my MAK for searing except the slid around so much, the MAK ones are very nice but pricey at non-sale price.

Comment

, Thanks for your input. Never thought of using the holder for foil; pretty good idea! Interesting you and glitchy are both looking at the sear grate. I thought the aftermarket grill grates would slide as well, which is why I didn’t ever get those. Guess I’m going to add the sear grate to the consideration list as well...fingers crossed for double points and discounts abound! It sounds like you’re likely getting something pretty cool this weekend!

Comment

I've got the front shelf on my MAK 2 Star and wouldn't go without one. It's just too handy when sliding out meats onto sheets or for wrapping. I've never seen any gunk build up between the shelf and smoker.
                Last edited by Damascus Duck; May 25, 2021, 10:00 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

+1 on the above. I have the front shelf and use it all the time. No problems with gunk other than the usual occasional drip when loading/unloading using it. Mine came with a towel holder that goes underneath, but I do not use it - having a roll of towels on it blocks the front cabinet door (optional door, so you may not have that). I also have the sear grates, but do not use those either, preferring the searing capabilities of my gasser or flattop griddle.

Just FYI - I heard that MAK is having a 15% off Memorial Day weekend sale on accessories.

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. Gonna get the shelf. The 15% off is what’s prompting me to get a bunch of new accessories (more racks, door, shelf) I too have a gasser, but am tempted to also try the sear grates. GolfGeezer, do the searing grates seem like a novelty and just add grill marks or do they actually help build any crust?

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I use a cast iron pan for proteins I want a crust on, but the searing grates add a few more options. I can get grill marks with the stock grates, but it's more consistent and a deeper sear with the thicker MAK grates or an aftermarket brand. But if I buy what I think I'm gonna buy this weekend, no one will take advise from me when it comes to MAK accessories lol...

• glitchy
                      glitchy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs Are you buying a 3 star now?

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                      Editing a comment
                      glitchy I did think about it, but with just the wife and I... it's a bit too much grill. Just contemplating buying the most over priced MAK accessory

So I just saw that MAK has posted the 15% off accessories this weekend with the code: memorialday. I am going to get the shelf and the sear grate. If I don’t like the grate, I may post it for sale later in the year.

Comment

Thanks for asking the question. I have a 2-Star on order and added the shelf. I liked the one I had on my old Traeger, so I assumed I'd like it on the MAK. But it's good to hear that others find it useful.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here