Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No water pan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No water pan?

HI all,

My first smoker was charcoal fired, it had a water pan. My second was electric, it had a water pan.

I just got a MAK 2-star and there's no water pan. What gives?

It seems as though few to none of the pellet smokers have one. Is it a cost thing? No room? I doubt burning pellets give off more moisture than the other fuels.

Any suggestions???? I'm doing my first run of ribs tomorrow and don't want them to be a failure...

Thanks in advance.

Never been able to run a water pan in my pellet pooper, not enough room. I cook a lot ribs for other folks. No complaints or else they wouldn't be repeat offenders.

Comment

I occasionally run one in my pellet grills, haven’t noticed much difference in results though. The MAK is actually very convenient for one, Just put it on the main grate and put food above on next level up.

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        That Works for the Traeger Timberline also too.
        happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

I have tried water pans, well small foil pans with water in them, in both my MAK and my previous Camp Chef DLX. Absolutely no noticeable benefit to either additional smokiness or moistness of anything I’ve smoked. I do spritz, so maybe that obviates a water pan.

Comment

I'm definitely not the science expert here...but I think a water pan makes sense if you put it close enough to hot enough fire to generate steam, adding moisture to the meat and barrier to heat source. Given the MAK layout, if you set it to 225-250, that won't happen - your pan will still be full of water at end of cook and won't have contributed anything to the results. Have been very happy with ribs from my MAK, I do like to spritz though.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          It is also a heat sink. A mass that will absorb and stabilize heat. A water pan will stabilize the temperature inside the grill.This is because water takes longer to rise or fall in temp than air, so once the water comes up to temp, it will radiate heat upwards into the grill if the grill temp begins to fall, and absorb excess heat if the grill starts to get too hot.

I have never tried to use a water pan in my Camp Chief, but I do spritz with water on all cooks

Comment

18.5” WSM and I am not using my water pan anymore either. Plenty moist results.

Comment

Thanks, all. I'll give it a go!

Comment

I just had an AHA moment!

I'm guessing that the charcoal-fired and electric-fired smokers had a water pan because it was right over the fire, so it could regulate temps and add moisture (and catch drips). The pellet firebox is way down in the bowels of the MAK so I guess there was no room to put one.

Keep your fingers crossed....I just did a 2-2-1 and the ribs are just above 185F. Can't wait to sink my teeth into them!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here