Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice while waiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice while waiting?

I am something around week 2 of my 18 week lead time for my new 36" LSG pellet smoker. I ordered 8" wheels, the pull handle, ball valve and a cover (so expensive!), but I still have about ~10 weeks until they start production and lock it in. This will be permanently on my patio/outdoor kitchen, so I don't think the off-road package is justifying the expense. Very excited and impatient!

I am interested in having a latch put on the hopper lid, but the sales office said that would have to be discussed with the owner and they hadn't heard of him doing that. Before actual production starts, has anyone worked with Chris on custom tweaks to their pellet smokers and added it to the build? Any mods that make a really big difference?

Cheers,

James K

I've ordered 2 cookers from them but have not asked for any custom features. My understanding is that Chris is open to customizing, for a nominal fee of course, and I can't imagine adding some kind of latch would be a big deal. Reach out to him directly, he's definitely a good guy and will give you a straight answer. Why a latch, if you don't mind my asking? These rigs are beasts and their fit and finish is outstanding.

BTW, I've got the same ride coming and I'm waiting for the shipping notice any day now.

Comment

• Nightrayne
      Nightrayne commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't mind at all. Our new house is on the side of a small hill so 20-30 mph winds are quite common and several storms in the last year were 40-50 mph+. I am slightly concerned about the wind flipping open the hopper lid and me ending up with a soggy pellet ball

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah, I was thinking the cook chamber lid. That's a good idea for the hopper lid

Chris will definitely listen to your request, and I think most likely be able to make that happen. He's very busy but also very easy to talk with.

Comment

Chris is great to work with in my experience. I added a couple of options after ordering with zero problems. Asked questions a couple of times after receiving my cooker. And have ordered some replacement parts, all with quick response and/or shipping,

Comment

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        What options did you add?

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        I added a cover and the larger wheels (not off road) on a large insulated cabinet

That's a nice smoker

Comment

Advice: find a hobby so you're not constantly clicking the update button to see if there's been any progress...

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh boy, the first one was tough! For the second one I've tried to put it out of my mind and I've been mostly successful. I am beginning to give my old Traeger dirty looks now...

• Nightrayne
          Nightrayne commented
          Editing a comment
          Working on improvements to the back patio and yard are keeping me busy. Though I bet it will be worse the closer it gets

Geez. I’m not good at waiting for things I really want. An 18 week wait would kill me. It would drive me to drink…..more. As a result I have no ideas to help you out. Good luck Pitmaster.

Comment

I have had my LSG 20x36 pellet since last September and love this thing. I would recommend getting the stainless shelf but ask if they can make it 12" wide instead of 10". I looked at adding a hinge to the pellet hopper but decided against it as it works pretty well like it is and causes no issues.

I have used the searing feature 5 times and it works great. I was getting a temp of 756 above the flames with the baffle moved back, great for searing. When I have done whole chickens I am getting smoke out of the stack with the Fireboard set to 350....unheard of on my old Rec Tec.

After you get yours don't pay a lot of attention to the temp that goes up and down on the Fireboard. Pay attention to the Tel Tru or one you put at grate level for internal temps. Good luck and let me know if you have any questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Deter View Post
            Advice: find a hobby so you're not constantly clicking the update button to see if there's been any progress...
            Haha. It's tough when you have dialed in your social media into your smoking hobby and your feeds are filled with great recipe's and cooks and you are weeks and weeks away from your new toy, haha.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwng View Post
              I have had my LSG 20x36 pellet since last September and love this thing. I would recommend getting the stainless shelf but ask if they can make it 12" wide instead of 10".
              I've seen a lot of people recommend this option. Why? Looks or function? I am not against it but it's not a cheap upgrade and I was wondering about it. Thanks!
              Last edited by MrAhmerGamer; May 6, 2022, 11:25 AM.

Comment

• Sdell
                Sdell commented
                Editing a comment
                I got the stainless shelf because I thought it would hold up much better than painted steel. I figured pots, pans tongs, and acidic spritzes would eventually scratch the paint and lead to rust. I like the look of the stainless too of course.

I don't have a pellet burner but if it's anything like the 36" sidebox model, use the remaining time looking for a family who wants to live the tiny house they build around the smoker for shipping. And make sure your arsenal of demolition tools is in order to do the uncrating.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here