Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pulled the trigger!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled the trigger!

Well, after starting off with a Camp Chef smoke pro and now a Traeger Timberline 850, I finally did what I should've done instead of getting the Traeger...ordered the LSG 20x42 pellet. The only upgrade are the 8" wheels. Couldn't justify $900 for the offroad package. Now the long wait until it's here! Hopefully, sometime in May. Once it's here, the Traeger will be relegated to making sides and keeping things warm.

Congrats on the LSG, they look like great pellet grills. Just curious, what’s so bad about the Timberline? If it’s not that old, maybe you could sell it and recoup some money?

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
      Johnny Big Time commented
      Editing a comment
      It just doesn’t turn out what I’d like. No matter what tricks I pull, just can’t get the smoke flavor that I’m looking for.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Johnny Big Time Were you happy with the CC SmokePro results? Pellet grills have a different smoke profile than charcoal smokers and stick burners. Early feedback is the LSG does well, but it’s still going to be pellet grill well.
      Last edited by glitchy; January 30, 2022, 04:48 PM.

• Johnny Big Time
      Editing a comment
      Wasn’t happy with the CC. The Timberline is night and day compared to the CC, but still not great.

Congratulations on purchasing the LSG. Here's to many years of good cooks on it.

Comment

Congrats. That one should last ya.

Comment

Good fer you! What’s ETA?

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
          Editing a comment
          Hopefully sometime in May

Congrats 👏

Comment

Congrats! Be sure and let us know what it like and how good it works. There just does not seem the be a lot of use info on them.
          and yes, the WAIT.

Comment

In a year or so I'll need to get one of those to increase my capacity or invest in something that I can take where I cook.

Comment

If you haven’t been happy with the results from two other pellet grills, my honest advice just trying to be helpful would be to call tomorrow and cancel your order. I think the LSG pellet grill looks top notch, but it’s still a pellet grill. I’ve had 11 of them and yes there’s a difference in smoke profiles amongst them, but in reality it’s a pretty narrow range from end to end.

$3000 plus can get you a very nice kamado, insulated gravity feed, or stick burner with a stronger smoke profile. A GrillBlazer Grill Gun, Fireboard/Fan combo and a Kamado is almost as simple as a pellet grill.

Edit: Maybe above isn’t worded the best, a more simple rewording would be that I really hate to see you spend that much money and still be disappointed. I love pellet grills, but there are some people that just are never satisfied with the results they produce.
              Last edited by glitchy; January 30, 2022, 06:44 PM.

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
                Editing a comment
                I’ve already had two offsets. This LSG will get me where I need to be.

• glitchy
                glitchy commented
                Editing a comment
                Like ofelles mentioned be sure to share lots of info when you get it. Real user feedback has been pretty non-existent so far.

• Johnny Big Time
                Editing a comment
                Oh absolutely!

Just wanted to give an update. I received the fabrication email on 4/5/22, so now it should be another 8 weeks or so before shipping. Getting closer!!

Comment

Congrats on getting the LSG pellet on order.

I've had the 20x36 pellet (and offset) since Sept. and really enjoy the pellet grill. I get smoke out of the stack with the controller set to 350, unheard of with the Rec Tec I had for 8 years. Like the easy firepot removal and the sear baffle. Searing is really easy with this thing. Have used the sear function 3 times and my IR shows the temp to be about 750 at the grate, pretty amazing. Good luck with yours (in about 4-5 months) but it will be worth the wait.

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
                  Editing a comment
                  How do you like the offset? I know that I’m going to buy a stick burner next year, just up in the air as to which.

Congratulations!

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Big Time View Post
                  Just wanted to give an update. I received the fabrication email on 4/5/22, so now it should be another 8 weeks or so before shipping. Getting closer!!
                  It takes another 8 weeks from fab email to shipping? How long will it take to ship?

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
                    Editing a comment
                    Should take about 5 days from TX to FL is what I’m being told.

• Johnny Big Time
                    Editing a comment
                    Once you get the fabrication email, yes, about 8 weeks until your rig is built. They build 4 rigs at a time. They have builders for each type of rig they sell. So the guys who build the pellet rigs are the only ones they build, so I’m expecting nothing less than perfection…or pretty damn close to it lol.

• Redwng
                    Redwng commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Mine took 5 days from TX to central FL on RoadRunner Freight. I had my offset and pellet grills delivered at the same time and there were two fork holes in the side of the pellet grill plywood. Luckily they just went into the space above the base and below the body. There is a hub for them in Orlando not far from my house, they delivered around 3pm as my stuff was first on the trailer but last off.

Originally posted by Redwng View Post
                  Congrats on getting the LSG pellet on order.

I've had the 20x36 pellet (and offset) since Sept. and really enjoy the pellet grill. I get smoke out of the stack with the controller set to 350, unheard of with the Rec Tec I had for 8 years. Like the easy firepot removal and the sear baffle. Searing is really easy with this thing. Have used the sear function 3 times and my IR shows the temp to be about 750 at the grate, pretty amazing. Good luck with yours (in about 4-5 months) but it will be worth the wait.
                  Have you done any comparison cooks between the LSG pellet and LSG offset? Or at least in your opinion, does the LSG pellet get close to the offset as far as smoke profile on the food? I have some high hopes for the LSG pellet smoker. Thanks

Comment

• Johnny Big Time
                    Editing a comment
                    I can’t speak for him, but I’m on two LSG owner groups on Facebook and there’s a lot of guys who have offsets and the pellet smoker and some either don’t run the offset at all anymore or rarely, and some have sold their offset. So with that said, along with videos that I’ve seen, there’s no doubt in my mind that if you did a blind taste test, you wouldn’t be able to tell the difference.

• Redwng
                    Redwng commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The smoke profile on the LSG pellet is so much better than the RecTec I had for 8 years. I am not concerned too much with the temp the controller is showing, watch the TelTru or a grate probe. The searing function works great, have used it 4 times and the temp gets to 750 about flames. Have done whole chickens, two overnight briskets along with butts, salmon steaks and tri tips. I get smoke out of the stack with it set to 350, amazing for a pellet grill. It oscillates temps to get better smoke.

Johnny, hopefully by now you've gotten your LSG and had some time to do some cooks. Mind posting some impressions?

I've been pondering my next cooker for some time now, looking at Rec-Tecs, then Yoder. I'm starting to think the LSG is gonna be my choice! Now just have to decide 36" or 42". Decisions decisions.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                    ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                    Editing a comment
                    If you ever drive anywhere near Wayne county, you'd be more than welcome to kick the tires on my MAK. If I recall a while back they were on your radar.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here