Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silverbac vs. OG Grilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also went with the OG. My decision mainly came from needing less space, but the better smoke flavor also was a selling point. I've never had an issue loading it up (I bought the second half shelf to go with it). They also just made a jerky wrap which can double as a rib rack. I think either way you can't go wrong.

Comment

Doing my research on pellet grills while doing everything not to scratch the itch, Grilla told me the new target date for the WIFI launch is the end of March.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        They have been pushing back the WiFi for a while. I think it was originally targeted for launch mid-2020.

Probably have their hands full with the unexpected demand for the Primate.

• tstalafuse
        tstalafuse commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq I am thinking about the Grilla and since I don't want to control the pit but just check temps, I asked. It took a number of exchanges to get them to say there is a hole that a 3rd party WIFI enabled temp probe could be put through to check temps. Seemed like I had to drag the information out of them.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I have to wonder if the delay in rolling out Wifi is related to this Traeger patent infringement lawsuit against Green Mountain Grills, and likely soon against ANYONE that sells wifi connected outdoor cooking equipment of any sort....

Does Traeger have a path to global domination? The pellet grill market isn't just competitive; it can be downright ruthless. Companies fight for

tstalafuse Inserting a probe to monitor meat temp should be pretty straightforward on the Grilla. Not sure why that was a difficult transaction for them, as I understand there's a little hole as well.

But, the WiFi I'm expecting will require a new controller and probably extra expense, as it should hopefully let you monitor and adjust temps at min via your phone.

Comment

Guys, I have to wonder now if Grilla is smart to have delayed Wifi. Otherwise, they might be in the spotlight now instead of Green Mountain Grills...

Does Traeger have a path to global domination? The pellet grill market isn't just competitive; it can be downright ruthless. Companies fight for

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          That's not trying to say their grills are junk, but they are definitely not built with the quality of materials that many others use and don't seem designed to last more than 4-7 years.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy the sad fact is that with the patent granted, and now upheld at least once, Traeger has the law on their side, with a patent for something we know they did not invent.

Patents are tricky things, and its unfortunate someone else didn't patent this before Traeger. What will ultimately happen in my mind, unless someone can get the patent invalidated, is that GMG will be forced to settle with Traeger and pay royalties to Traeger for each Wifi grill sold past, present and future.

• DrJimmy2112
          DrJimmy2112 commented
          Editing a comment
          "The first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers."
          -Dick the Butcher, Wm Shakespeare's "King Henry the 8th", I believe.
          Wifi is overrated. Go outside, check the thermometer, enjoy God's creation.

Anyone have pics to share of searing on the OG Grilla?

Comment

Originally posted by zero_credit View Post
          Anyone have pics to share of searing on the OG Grilla?
          Nope. In fact, it dawned on me recently that I rarely (as in "never", so far) feel the need to sear anything that I cook on the OG. Nor do I ever seem to feel the urge to cook something on the OG that's going to need searing afterwards.

That said, if something ever happens to change either of the above, I've got a Searzall torch, plenty of C.I., and a gasser with a pretty decent sear burner ... so I figure I'm covered for 'most any eventuality.

If not, then I'm sure MCS will kick right in and I'll be forced to explain (again) just exactly why I "needed" to spend all that money on yet another new toy ... ...

Comment

Same here. I mostly use it for low and slow and save searing for cast iron or the black stone we have.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here