Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the temp probe conduct heat into the meat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the temp probe conduct heat into the meat?

Newby to pellet cooker here with another question. I was slow cooking some small single serving pork loin slices, purchased precut, and used the Grilla temp probe on my OG inserted thru 2 of the dozen or so pieces. When they reached temp, I double checked the remaining pieces with my hand held thermometer and they were 20-30 degrees less. I repeated the process with the temp probe in 2 more pieces and they also reached temp before the rest. I am wondering if the metal in the heat probe conducts the heat from the convection effect into the cuts of meat causing them to cook faster than those cuts without the probe in them. I hope I explained my question understandably. What do you experts think?

I have never noticed that happening. And I normally use a Thermopen to verify what the probe reads. Was any part of the probe close to your heat source, or have you checked for hot spots in your cooker?
    In case you don't know how, the easiest way, (although maybe not the most accurate), is to let your cooker come up to temp and then lay slices of bread evenly distributed on the grate. They should brown at about the same rate although most cookers do have hot spots.

Comment

Hmmm. How thick were these slices of pork loin you were smoking? I usually don't try to use a leave in probe on thin cuts of meat like steaks or pork chops, and just use my Thermapen instant read thermometer to check them during the cook.

Comment

It can be tough to get an accurate reading with a leave-in probe in a slice of meat like you describe. I find that I get a more precise reading with my Thermapen. By more precise, I mean that it is easier to tell exactly where in the meat the tip of the probe is located.

Also, have you tested each probe in boiling water to see if they give the same reading? That might be the best starting point.

Comment

Like has already been said, it's difficult on thinner cuts to get an accurate reading for leave in probes. With a hand held, you have better control and can probe multiple spots. You should also test the probes to confirm their accuracy.

Comment

I have to recalibrate the temp probe of my Traeger Timberline every time I use it. By default, it seems to be 15-20 degrees higher than my Thermapen. That is why I use my Smoke along with the Traeger probe just to make sure.

Comment

Thanks folks. These were about 2" thick cuts, not really thin. So far, temps seem to be consistent across the grates so I haven't checked for hot and cold spots.
              I will experiment further, but was curious about the probe being a heat conductor.

Comment

Originally posted by DrJimmy2112 View Post
                Thanks folks. These were about 2" thick cuts, not really thin. So far, temps seem to be consistent across the grates so I haven't checked for hot and cold spots.
                I will experiment further, but was curious about the probe being a heat conductor.
                Sorry to jump in late ... but yes, of course the metal probe is a conductor of heat. That said, I've never noticed any adverse effects from using a leave-in probe on any cooker ... including my OG.

I've never encountered any hot/cool spot issues in my OG. It is, after all, a round (no corners), wood-fired convection oven that cooks purely indirect (in which you wouldn't really expect temps to vary much ... unless maybe around the edges of the head deflector which extends all around to within an inch or less of the OG outside wall. Again, I've never observed any issues in my OG and have never felt compelled to make toast to check for hot spots.

Given your seemingly controller-related temperature control issues and what you've reported here, I would assume that the two are related and HIGHLY recommend that you work with Grilla Support until both are resolved.

Comment

MBMorgan I totally concur on all points. Should be very even heating within the unit. I am willing to try swapping for a new RTD and even new pellets for the frustrations I have reported elsewhere, but suspect the issue may be the controller.
                  Last edited by DrJimmy2112; January 7, 2021, 09:53 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here