Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Science Behind OG Grilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Science Behind OG Grilla

Looking at the difference between the pork butt on the Silverbac and the OG Grilla, what about the design of the OG Grilla is causing the improved color and char? See 2:30 in the below video. Both have central fire pots and drip pans that cover the majority of the open surface, so it doesn’t seem like there should be a difference.

My best idea is that tighter seals are keeping more smoke and heat in the chamber creating more of a reaction with the meat, but I am not sure.

Last edited by STEbbq; December 12, 2020, 10:53 PM. Reason: Adding best guess

I honestly don't think one can make that kind of determination just off of a single cook. There is too much room for variation between the different hunks of meat, where exactly on the cooker each hunk was placed, temperature variations between the cookers, heck, even the different application of the rubs could all have a significant impact on the resulting colour. IMO you'd need to perform multiple cooks in order to make this determination.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes if this truly was a scientific experiment you would need to control all variables and repeat the process a number of times documenting results. To me the video was interesting and the results were all pretty close. The Pit Master just picked his favorite.

The OG Grilla is widely acknowledged to have a better smoke profile than the Silverbac so I think this is a good example. I think you have a great point though in general, so maybe I just need to go and find some Meathead articles on meat color that maybe give me some better clues.

Comment

watched the video and it is interesting.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here