Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook!

First time cooking on a pellet today. I set the Mavericks 4 probes around the grates upper and lower. Ran the smoker for about 40 min to get a feel for the temp. It was pretty close all around maybe 15 degrees difference here and there.
    never cooking on a pellet before i started the chops at 225 hoping for smoke then after about 20 min cranked it up to 400 and wow dud this thing cook! I believe i could get some good sear marks but had to pull the chops as they were done. Fun first cook but chops had almost zero smoke flavor. I know ill get it dialed in soon but any advice is appreciated! Anyway im really excited about this grill and cant wait to cook on it tomorrow! Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_171931.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	904913Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_174418.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	904914Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_183859.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	203.9 KB
ID:	904915Click image for larger version

Name:	20200902_184945.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	904916

On a pellet cooker, lower temps mean more smoke. Run it low, I mean as low as it will go, for about an hour. Then crank it up as appropriate for what you are cooking for color and to cook to your desired temp. That works best for me.

Comment

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Sounds like a plan.! Ill try next time

While the above is great advice, just remember that you run a risk of a flameout if you try to run the grill at sub 225 on hot days in direct sunlight. Try to keep it shaded if possible. Also using the top shelf will help if you have small amounts of food. You can also use a pellet tube to supplement extra smoke for flavoring instead of BTUs

Comment

• BigCountryQ
      BigCountryQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Great looking cook BTW!

• marshall
      marshall commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks looking forward to learning on this rig!

Good looking cook. Pellet cookers do put out a subtle smoke. Starting low for the first hour or so (Ihave not problem with 180F or 200F on my cooker). I use the top shelf most of the time and often use a tube to add smoke. You'll figure it out with a few more cooks I'm sure.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here