Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ribs on the Grilla OG vs Weber Kettle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ribs on the Grilla OG vs Weber Kettle

Decided to do a good old fashioned side by side with my two cookers this afternoon. The rack on the left was cooked with a grilla OG and on the right a Weber kettle with SNS. Memphis dust, cooked 225-250 for about 4.5 hours nekkid till 200ish internal. They don’t look like they would taste the same at all but they did! I thought the charcoal cooked rack looked like it’d be drier and more flavorful but that was not the case. They were both equally juicy and had the same amount of smoke with smoke flavoring being only slightly different. I’m calling it a tie!
    Attached Files

Interestingly. Your ribs are top and bottom in the photo, so not sure which one is the left or right as described. Definitely some color difference, so its surprising they tasted so similar.

Comment

• BillyBriskets
      BillyBriskets commented
      Editing a comment
      Oops! I need to get my ears checked. kettle on top dark red, grilla on the bottom.

I’m betting the top one was the kettle since it’s much darker. I get really dark bark on my kettle.

Comment

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      Agreed.

quite interesting. the darker rack on top, is the bark the same?

Comment

What an interesting side-by-side. Did you use some wood in that SnS? What pellets did you use in the Grilla?

It's hard to imagine that both had the same level of smokiness, but hey, you should know. Thanks so much for posting this!

I've always loved the look of the Grilla.

Kathryn

Comment

• BillyBriskets
        BillyBriskets commented
        Editing a comment
        I used pit boss competition blend in the grilla and 2 handfuls of cherry chips + a bourbon barrel oak chunk in the SNS. I've never gotten too smokey from the SNS no matter how much I've tried. Next test might be a deliberate attempt to get smokier with the kettle compared to the Grilla control.

Interesting. I love side by sides.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here