Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First cook on new Grilla Grills Silverbac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First cook on new Grilla Grills Silverbac

Hello folks

After getting the defective controller issue taken care of, and initial burn in done, I'm finally ready to do the first cook on this thing. New to pellet cooking, so we'll see how this goes.

Two pork butts, one with MMD and the other with Slow 'n Sears's "Not Just For Beef" rub. I found Bear Mountain pellets locally for $10 at Smart Foodservice (formerly Cash 'n Carry). Got the Maverick monitoring things, the built in grill temp probe seems to read about 15F higher than the Maverick probe near the front and centered on the grill.

Now we wait! Seems odd to not have to monitor things so closely, just letting the controller do its thing.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilla First Cook.jpg Views:	25 Size:	1.37 MB ID:	902504

The Silverbac took over the PBC's spot on the deck. The Weber is hiding off to the left.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilla First Cook 2.jpg Views:	26 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	902505

At two hours into the cook. Cooker temps are stable, maybe 20F max swing as the controller cycles ,
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grill First Cook at 2 hours.jpg Views:	24 Size:	1.66 MB ID:	902530

At 7 hours in, the IT is 160F on right hand one. I just plugged the Grilla meat probe in to track the other butt, and it's reading about 10F higher. Waiting for the stall.

At 8 hours, the temp on the larger butt is 164F, and the smaller (left) is 173F. Temps just marching up, maybe a slight stall..
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grilla First Cook at 8 hours.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	902661

Final Results! The smaller of the two butts finished at about 12 hours, the larger one took 14 hours. Mostly at 240F setting, although I did crank it up a bit at the end since it was getting on toward 11PM.

My wife tasted some of the small one, with the SnS rub and said it seemed dry. The bark seemed to have a sweeter overtone.

The other one with MMD was pretty similar to the PBC results. Maybe because I'm so used to that flavor profile.

On both, I'd have to say that the bark was not as pronounced as from the PBC. Next time I'll try higher temperatures to match what the PBC runs at.

Overall, I'm happy with the cooker. The ease of operation is a definite plus!

Larger butt, with MMD
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Griila First Cook Final 1.jpg Views:	8 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	903452

Smaller butt, done first.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_124697.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	903453

Question - since the PBC was such a moist environment, should I worry about these getting dry? Just occurred to me that maybe this cooker will require spritzing at some intervals.
    Last edited by BruceB; September 1, 2020, 02:53 PM.

Let us know how the pork butt compares to the many you smoked over the years on the PBC. I'm curious.

Congrats on firing up that new toy. Enjoy many happy cooks on it.

Kathryn

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      Sad to hear but all things eventually pass on.

• BruceB
      BruceB commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Final comments.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, BruceB for editing in your Final Comments into your original post.
      Sounds like you've got a winner there. Close-to-PBC flavor with pellet convenience. Nice smoke ring peeking out of that smaller PB. I'm sure you'll nail the bark in future cooks.

Kathryn

Congrats! I love my pellet cooker. So easy to use and so versatile. Good luck with your cook. Looking forward to results with photos.

Comment

Thanks for posting. I should be receiving the same unit soon. Let us know how they turned out!

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice! We'll need to form a special Silverbac Owner's Club

That’s a nice smoker! Congrats and the first few hours of smoke look great on those butts!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here