Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet ash with the Grilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet ash with the Grilla

Just got into the pellet game with the Grilla and I’m loving the convenience and smoke I’m getting. One issue I’m not sure if it’s an issue is I feel like there is a lot of ash. I’ve never had a pellet smoker but I’ve read there should be very little. This pic was taken right after about 12 hour cook. Is this normal to other Grilla or pellet smoker owners?
    Attached Files

I am a pellet cooker guy and I do not have this issue. I have read here that the brand and type of pellets being used can widely affect the ash left behind. I use exclusively Rec Tec Ultimate Blend pellets which are 1/3 white oak, 1/3 red oak, and 1/3 hickory according to the bag description. The oak burns with little ash I am told. Maybe try a different pellet?

Comment

That does seem like an inordinate amount of ash. I do see ash, but not blowing out like that. What brand of pellets are you using?

Comment

No grilla (yet) but I have a little bitty Traeger, and I don't have a huge ash problem. I have started using B&B competition blend, but before that I used traeger pellets and I didn't have a lot of ash from that either.

Comment

Paging a couple of Grilla owners to this thread to comment on the topic.

MBMorgan Potkettleblack Bogy

Comment

Never seen ash like that on my OG. I use mostly Lumberjack. How many cooks have you done, for how long, and when did you last take thing apart and vacuum out the bottom of the cooking chamber. Ash can build up pretty good there. Not like a wood or charcoal fire, but there is a certain amount of ash, and after a couple of long cooks it can build up on the bottom, and then blown around by the fan.

Comment

• BillyBriskets
            BillyBriskets commented
            Editing a comment
            Pic was from during my 2nd ever cook which was 12 hrs long. I’ve only used it for about 1 hr cooks every other time. I cleaned after this cook and the burn pot was half full and there was a very small mound of ash around the burn pot in the bottom.

The only pellet cooker I've seen that ashy on the normal, is the Weber. Maybe it's normal but I'd suspect old pellets or wind or something going on Though if that was your first cook, maybe you need to do some bacon or something to get the grease on the walls to prevent that?
          Last edited by ItsAllGoneToTheDogs; May 11, 2020, 05:06 PM.

Comment

• BillyBriskets
            BillyBriskets commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree bacon is probably the solution

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            Bacon is always the solution.

I know this isn’t too helpful but I’ve never seen ash that severe with my OG. FWIW I’ve only ever used Grilla Competition Blend.

Comment

I run lumberjack pellets on mine and after cooking a brisket on my grilla I see about that amount of ash. Never seemed to hurt anything or taste.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              I believe they are the same pellets, if memory serves Lumber Jack makes Grilla pellets.

• BigCountryQ
              BigCountryQ commented
              Editing a comment
              Huskee they are made in the same facility, but not owned by the same company....so I've been told. Same with the Cabela's pellets. Great Lakes Renewable Energy in Wisconsin.

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting, thanks BigCountryQ

I've used lots of Grilla brand pellets (love 'em) and never see ash like that, but I do not have the Original round Grilla either, I have the Silverbac. I cannot comment if this is normal or abnormal with this particular cooker, but looks excessive.

How many cooks in are you? It might just need vacuumed out, might just be too much ash in the firepot.

Comment

Maybe it's possible there was extra dust due to shipment of the pellets? Sometimes the more handling they get, the more they break down.

Comment

• Bogy
                Bogy commented
                Editing a comment
                I empty a bag of pellets into a 5 gallon pail, and then use a kitty litter scoop to load up my hopper, sifting out the dust as I go. Even with good quality pellets, and the variety of pellets makes a difference, I can end up with more than a cup of sawdust in the bottom of the pail.

Windy day? Every great now and again I see that level of ash... but I have to not have vac'd, and a windy day seems to help.

Comment

Thanks you guys. I asked the Grilla folks and they said it’s likely wind/airflow issue. Weather has been awful the past few weeks in my neck of the woods. Days it’s not raining/snowing it’s been windy so that may have been it. I’ll keep an eye on it.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here