Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Switching Out Grilla Alpha Controller?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Switching Out Grilla Alpha Controller?

I’m thinking about switching out my Grilla Alpha controller on my Silverbac for a third party like Smoke Daddy or Savannah Stoker. Any thoughts on whether the juice is worth the squeeze or any other third party controller suggestions?

The Alpha controller is ok. In PID mode it uses timing instead of adapting via temperature and I want something that can also generate some good smoke.

I don’t know if other controllers would perform any better.

I find it hard to believe that any 3rd party controller will do any better at producing smoke than the Grilla controller running in the original non-PID mode.

Comment

I just don’t know. It’s frustrating. You need low temps to generate decent smoke in PID or non-PID mode. The controller can be set as low as 180, but the actual temp in the grill is closer to 210 or 215. I think that can make a huge difference with pellets.

I had the set point at 195 PID. 40 minutes later the controller itself is at 215 , I can hear the auger dropping more pellets and the actual grate temp is 240. I can adjust PID timing but that’s a PIA because it loses the setting every time you unplug the unit.

The cooker is built like a tank. I like that part of it. Even a PID controller that self-adapts by temperature might be more effective at holding a lower temp.

Comment

Yeah, don't use alpha mode for low temp.

Embrace the swing in the original mode.

A third party controller is not gonna control the grill better than the Grilla.

Comment

While modding is fun and we often can't suppress our desire to mod, I think your best bet for more smoke is to find ways to add more smoke such as chunks of wood under the drip tray on the diffuser, or the like. Pellet grills will be pellet grills.

Comment

This is exactly why I purchased an A-Maze-N tube for my father’s Traeger. It improved the smoke profile immediately...and it was a cheap & easy fix. Best "mod" that thing has ever seen.

Comment

I don’t have the alpha, but the original controller gives me pretty good smoke at low temperatures. The temps do swing up and down, but that helps it produce the smoke. Much lighter smoke at higher temperatures which is also ok with me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here