Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First pellet smoker. RecTec 590 or Grilla SilverbacAlpha

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First pellet smoker. RecTec 590 or Grilla SilverbacAlpha

I have used a Green Egg and a PK360 for years, but never a pellet grill. We moved and I sold the Green Egg rather than move it 700 miles. I like the long smoke capabilities of the pellet unit. I was intending on trying the Weber SmokeFire, but have shelved that idea. I am now trying to decide between the RecTec 590 and the Grilla Silverbac Alpha. Since I can't them for a test drive I would like to ask y'all if there are reasons to choose one over the other. This is similar to picking between Ram and Ford, but I already know the right answer to that is Ram. Thanks for your advice.

A year ago I was asking the same question. I landed on Grilla however when I went to pick it up I actually ended up going with the Grilla OG.

Either way though I still vote for the Silverbac!

For me two of the selling points that weren’t specifically cooker related were the online community for Grilla and when I called the two companies and said "hey I’m choosing between you and the other one can you tell me why I should choose you"... the answers went something like this:

RecTec: Man we aren’t even sure about those other guys they aren’t anything compared to us we have a superior product blah blah blah...

Grilla: Thanks for calling and great question we get that a lot. First of all the other guys have a good product and we aren’t going to knock them... but here are some features that we think set us apart...

I actually spoke with Mark about a couple other pellet grill companies as we’ll... he was just cool about it and genuine....

So for me... it was customer experience...

So I will tell you this: they are both good products and you should be happy either way. I think RecTec tries to be the bad boy cool guy of the pellet cooker world... while Grilla just does their thing and is kind of a fun hangout.
    Last edited by Nate; February 21, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Comment

• jgreen
      jgreen commented
      Editing a comment
      Great answer. I picked Grilla as well but Rec Tec was my second choice.

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      This is funny, I had the same experience. I emailed all of the folks I was looking at though. Wish I would have saved the emails. MAK, Yoder, and Grilla all had great things to say about the competition but pointed out their personal strengths. The dealers for MAK and Yoder did the same but did offer hints about competitor shortcomings. RecTec trashed everyone, and I would have believed them if I hadn't seen the response to reviews on the 1st gen bullseye they had just released.

I think you win either way, I have Rec Tec, no complaint's

Comment

Great support by grilla. I had the same problem choosing and went with grilla grills. Iv always had great costumer service. I think either company you can’t go wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I slightly changed my choice and went with the AlphaGrilla. I liked that it is not the traditional barrel shape and has a smaller footprint. I called the company twice and they were helpful and very patient with my meandering questions.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
          Editing a comment
          Without owning either, nor having seen either in person I'd go Grilla just like you did. The RT-700 has a really respectable warranty... the marketing for RT all focuses on that. The 590 is a respectable model in it's price bracket, but not as well built as it's big brother. Look forward to seeing your impressions on the Grilla purchase

Good choice. I went with the original grilla as well, but the original controller. You will love it.

Comment

Nice, You know the drill, picture's or it did not happen.

Comment

You’re going to love that OG! It’s reputed to have an excellent smoke profile for a "mere" pellet smoker:

Click image for larger version

Name:	81197925-96C8-46C8-839B-26644F96CBE5.jpeg
Views:	3761
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	808033
            Admittedly, I took the pic during its startup sequence ... but still ...

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
              Editing a comment
              I don't think I've ever seen the OG in a setting that actually shows it's size. That would have been perfect for my apartment balcony when I liven in CO. And the fire dept would have showed up more often and maybe helped the complex building next to mine...it randomly would be on fire every few months (don't live in an apt building with wood fireplaces)

Welcome to the Jungle!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here