Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Silverbac Alpha Grate Temp 35 Degrees Higher Than Set Temp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Silverbac Alpha Grate Temp 35 Degrees Higher Than Set Temp

This is bothering me. I'm cooking a brisket right now at 225 and put in a Fireboard pit temp sensor. When the Silverbac is set at and reading 225, the grate temp is at 255 - 260. Is this just the nature of the beast when the grill sensor is off to the side? If I want my pit temp at 225 I have to adjust the Silverbac down to 190. This means the Silverbac will never be capable of temps below 215.

I looked this up on the net and it seems like Traeger and REC TECT owners see variances between 2 and 10 degrees (set temp vs pit temp).

A 35 degree variance is pretty stunning. Could this be because I only have one 7.5 lb brisket on and the temps will even out when the airflow is more restricted?

The grill sensor tests fine and accurately reads for the freezing water / boiling water test.

Any thoughts appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MtView; January 2, 2020, 10:33 AM.

Yes, the location of the built-in sensor has something to do with that. I had this happen as well and found that adjusting the feed rate helps. It is set at 12 by default, and I lowered mine to 9 or maybe 7(?) and it helped. It's just feeding pellets too fast to lower the temps. It is SUPER easy to adjust this. If you're in Mode 1, press Mode+Up+Down arrows, all 3 at same time, for about 2 seconds and the screen should say 12. Lower it let's say to 9 for starters. Then press Mode again. Then keep cooking. Your brisket will never know anything happened. *Note: If you unplug it, it will reset to 12 again. If you leave it plugged in it will hold the previous settings. Here's a video showing it, fast forward to about the 2min mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93EmkQZE9NU

Comment

Thanks Huskee!! I'm going to try that right now. I'm cooking in mode 2, but switched to mode 1 to make the adjustment and popped back to mode 2.

This could explain A LOT. I kept thinking I had the magic brisket that doesn't stall and finishes early, then the magic chuck roast, etc. There was a little too much magic going on.

I do unplug when I'm done. So this has to be adjusted for each cook?
      Last edited by MtView; January 2, 2020, 11:01 AM.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        If you unplug, yes. It will always default to Mode1, feed rate 12, and I believe 250 deg if unplugged. Leaving it plugged in retains all your previous settings.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        Dude, your little too much magic going got me rollin'!!!!

I ended up speaking with Mark at Grilla about this and basically the grill is working as designed because the grill's sensor probe is reading correctl and the grill is responding based on what it thinks the temp is. In smoke Mode 2 adjusting the augur mode doesn't have an effect.

I guess it is what it is.

There are two things I think a pellet grill company could easily do using controller logic:

1. Use a smarter grill temperature if the sensor probe is not near the food (like MAK grills). It's possible to know if the temp is X degrees at the side mounted sensnor, it's X+Y degrees in the middle of the grate, X+Z degrees on the far left of the grate and average it.

2. Incorporate open lid logic. If the temp falls by X degrees within Y seconds then the lid is open so stop trying to build up the fire to hit temp.

Comment

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like the open lid logic idea. Sometimes I need that lid open to spritz, sauce, turn, check, or take a pic.

I agree. The sensor probe needs to be where the food is, within reason, or a reasonable adjustment to compensate for the fact that it's off, so that it's closer to real grate temp. Just like the lid thermometer on a kettle, you learn to compensate on your own. If you learn how much it's off you can adjust your set temp accordingly. In Mode 2 mine wants to be about 15-25 high at grate level in the center. Not a big deal to me. When you come from running a stickburner you learn that small temp fluctuations mean little. In Mode 1 you have more adjustment with the feed rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
        I agree. The sensor probe needs to be where the food is, within reason, or a reasonable adjustment to compensate for the fact that it's off, so that it's closer to real grate temp. Just like the lid thermometer on a kettle, you learn to compensate on your own. If you learn how much it's off you can adjust your set temp accordingly. In Mode 2 mine wants to be about 15-25 high at grate level in the center. Not a big deal to me. When you come from running a stickburner you learn that small temp fluctuations mean little. In Mode 1 you have more adjustment with the feed rate.
        I appreciate the confirmation that I do need to adjust the set temp in mode 2 and that I'm not missing something.

I may still need to adjust the augur feed rate in mode 1. After I wrapped my brisket and didn't need the smoke mode, I switched to mode 1 set at 225. I went out later to check on it and the controller was reading a temp of 240. This is the first time I saw mode 1 vary by more than 5 degrees either way so I'm hoping it's a fluke. I was using Lumberjack pellets and it was 30 - 35 degrees out.

Comment

I have found with the new Alpha controller I set it around 210-215 does the trick in Mode 1. I never use Mode 2 This way I average ~225 for whole which includes the swings. Best smoke profile I have had on any of the 3 pellete grills I have. I have the Grilla, Smokin Brothers 36 and Grid Iron. I sold my Silverbacc and Rec Tec mini. I should have kept my Silverbac and upgraged the controller. I am still trying dial in the darn Grid Iron.

Comment

Originally posted by damobetta View Post
            I have found with the new Alpha controller I set it around 210-215 does the trick in Mode 1. I never use Mode 2 This way I average ~225 for whole which includes the swings. Best smoke profile I have had on any of the 3 pellete grills I have. I have the Grilla, Smokin Brothers 36 and Grid Iron. I sold my Silverbacc and Rec Tec mini. I should have kept my Silverbac and upgraged the controller. I am still trying dial in the darn Grid Iron.
            I’ve never used mode 1 for smoking. I’ll have to give that a try. I’m up for anything that can give me a better smoke profile!

This is my first winter with the Silverbac It didn’t break a sweat in 3 degree (real temp) weather.

Comment

Granted my pellet owning experience is limited to only this Grilla and I've eaten foods form a few others, but I wasn't disappointed with its smoke flavor. If you cook something that's normally only cooked in an oven, say nachos or lasagna, you REALLY notice the smoke. If you cook something like a brisket or ribs that you've cooked over wood/charcoal before you'll of course notice it's much more delicate. Too lazy to see if I mentioned this above, but try putting your meat on the COLD grill, still turned off, then turn it on and let the meat sit there during the initial warm up, all that extra smoke helps.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here