Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello Grilla page!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee, excellent review. Informative & logical. Thx for link. My favorite excerpt:

"As a safety precaution, Silverbac will shut down automatically if the cooking temp drops below 110° or above 610°F."

That was the problem w/my older-model Traeger — it did NOT shut down when it went below 110 & then it would rain pellets, driving the temp up to a dangerous KABOOM high. Once I learned to "alarm" for the drop on my Smoke (happened @ every 4 hours) I could preempt it, but it was a major pain ITA

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack, please be patient w/me. God is not finished modding me yet — so it will be a while before my BBQ lingo is up to par.
    ; )

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    MtView, that’s exactly what I’d do. Let the meat smoke naked for 3-4 hours and then wrap.

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    Huskee, I will check your review stat. Thx

• MtView
    commented on 's reply
    I haven't done enough cooks yet with both modes to make a comparison on the Silverbac.

When I wrap a brisket, I'll switch to PID mode because the smoking part of the cook is basically over anyway so why use more pellets than I need to? I noticed that with a set point of 225 in PID mode the grill will stay between 220 and 230 with the most time at 225. In Standard/Pro mode the grill will swing between 220 and 235 in order to generate more smoke. I haven't noticed a difference in tenderness.
    Last edited by MtView; October 30, 2019, 03:26 PM.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    I have the second controller for the Grilla that came with it. I have no desire to go to the Alpha, but I guess that'd be a mod if I did. Do the comp wheels count as a mod (not that they have OG Comp wheels).

• Huskee
    commented on 's reply
    Mine has the Alpha, which as you know is both. I didn't notice much difference to be brutally honest. I thought I noticed more smokiness (which is very relative in a pellet cooker anyway) in standard mode. Have you seen my review of the Silverbac and the Alpha controller? https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...a-pellet-grill

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    No Grilla mods? Forgive my mistake, since I was the one who posed the question. I assumed that many pellet grill owners w/original controllers — including Grilla owners — switched them out for PIDs via Smoke Daddy, et al.

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Folks mod their Grillas?

• Huskee
    replied
    Potkettleblack You're right, pellets are pellets. But, mods, problems, accessories, and customer service are unique to specific makes and valuable I think. plus we're trying to feature a lot of common brands under the different grill and smoker channels, that way when a new person comes here to read about their particular grill they have a great chance of finding it.

Leave a comment:

• GirlGrilling
    commented on 's reply
    Potkettleblack — sectarianism. Heh. Frankly I think it’s verging on secularism — but that’s just me.
    ; )

• GirlGrilling
    replied
    ORIGINAL DIGITAL VS. PID — IS THE PID REALLY SUPERIOR?

Hello, Grilla owners. I understand Grilla rolled out its Alpha Smoke control box w/in last year or so, which includes Grilla’s original, digital controller and a PID. This is the only maker I know of that offers both options in one control box.

Question: have you played around using the original, digital controller and comparing those results with what you are getting with the PID? If so, did you see different results in quality of smoke, smoke flavor, or meat tenderness? For those with original digital controllers, have any of you tried a PID mod, and which did you prefer?

I learned on the old digital and recently switched to the PID. Am noticing significant differences (decline) in smoke quality and smoke flavor, as well as meat tenderness, w/PID. Absence of temp swings that comes w/the PID has, at least for me, not turned out to be the bees knees. Wondering if any of you have experienced this or experimented w/original digital vs. PID? Many thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Potkettleblack
    commented on 's reply
    Augers are augers, burn pots are burn pots. There are a couple style of controllers, a couple odd configurations like the OG, but otherwise, a camp chef recipe works on a Grilla and a rec Tec on a Pitts and spitts.

• Randy-Phx
    commented on 's reply
    I own a Camp Chef. Oh sorry, wrong thread.

• glitchy
    commented on 's reply
    It can give people a quick way to locate various information about a specific cooker or brand. I know you can search too, but sometimes wading through the results for the whole site or whole channel can be quite a bit to dig through.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here