Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

pellet mush!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pellet mush!

Cooking ribs in the rain for the Labor Day Pellet vs. Stick cookoff, really didn't do well for the pellets in the hopper of the OG! Getting ready to do a beef tenderloin tonight! Looked in the hopper last night and the pellets on top looked fine, so I fired it up. Didn't light so dismantled the cooking chamber and felt the moist sawdust underneath the normal-looking pellets. Thank goodness for the pellet dump hatch. It made quick work of getting the mush out of there. It wasn't to pellet-crete stage yet so the auger wasn't blocked from turning. One thing I really, really like about the OG is the open auger screw instead of a shafted auger.

Great to know. Thanks!

Comment

Yikes! That was a close call. Another reminder to keep my powder….er pellets dry!

Comment

Wow that's crazy. I haven't run into that with mine, thankfully. My Yoder doesn't have a pellet dump feature, sadly.

Comment

Glad you averted disaster. I’ve not had that problem on my Pit Boss yet but I did have a cook where the temps swung wildly for the first 2 hours. I changed out the pellets and all was good. Hope to see some pix of that beef tenderloin later. 😋

Comment

• CandySueQ
            CandySueQ commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of the time I burn thru all the pellets in the hopper after using. This time, the rain hit during the cook and smothered the fire. I'm just glad I got to it before the mush had set up!

Yep, got to keep them pellets dry. Glad you found out before the mush turned into concrete.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here