Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can a Chimp handle two 9 lb pork butts?

Collapse
This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can a Chimp handle two 9 lb pork butts?

I measured things and two large butts will be a tight fit, for sure. Suppose this question could apply to any brand/model of pellet smoker since its basically about whether one can smoke meat ok when its basically loaded to the tits. I've read some comments on meatheads pork butt recipe (320 comments and counting) where others have done this and it was doable and it just took more time or more heat. Is that what it comes down to?
  • Answer selected by Huskee at July 4, 2022, 08:10 PM.

Successfully smoked 2 x 9lb trimmed butts on the Chimp today. There was plenty of room. Started at 10 PM in mode 2 at 225F. I rotated them every 4-6 hrs. They stalled out at 160F 9 hrs in. Upped the temp to 235F. Took 5 hrs to get them to 180F and then I wrapped them and got them to 202F in 2 hours. 18 hrs total. They are resting in the igloo faux cambro for a couple hours before dinner.

Can't wait to try it. this is my first pulled pork smoke. I followed meathead's recipe. also made the the creamy slaw and a side of modified Bush's beans including some of my own bacon.

Comment

Wow! The visual on seein that title!
      One in each hand, yessir!

Comment

• big_mack
        big_mack commented
        Editing a comment
        you sir are a Pig!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        that is funny! the real question is can the chimp juggle the butts? big_mack they will shrink during cooking, so yes and rotate. Or cut a county style rib off of each.

I am deeply offended, and jealous you called him a pig. I bet you drink Coor's light too!
        Last edited by bbqLuv; June 29, 2022, 07:34 PM.

FireMan

big_mack I would say that if you have air circulation at the top you should be fine.

Comment

• big_mack
        big_mack commented
        Editing a comment
        but more time or heat? if it finishes earlier because of more of either that is fine. I just bought a nice little igloo cooler for a faux cambro and wouldn't mind having a reason to use it. better to be early than late with 20 hungry carnivores.

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        I do not think you need more heat. But I would allow for more time. I did a large turkey for Thanksgiving. Had very little clearance at the top of the cooker. Did not alter the temp but it took just a little longer than normal. Keep in mind that while the turkey was tall it did not fill as much from side to side. I think the key is clearance by a least an inch all the way around. Hope this helps.

What kind of sound does a chimp handling two 9# pork butts make?

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        The Chimp would just be "hamming it up"

I think it would work. The chimp is small but not that small. (I have not yet done a pork butt on my Chimp, but I've been very tempted to.) I think I would rotate them half way through the cook. I know on my Chimp the side towards the hopper is a bit hotter than the side towards the vents.

Comment

Successfully smoked 2 x 9lb trimmed butts on the Chimp today. There was plenty of room. Started at 10 PM in mode 2 at 225F. I rotated them every 4-6 hrs. They stalled out at 160F 9 hrs in. Upped the temp to 235F. Took 5 hrs to get them to 180F and then I wrapped them and got them to 202F in 2 hours. 18 hrs total. They are resting in the igloo faux cambro for a couple hours before dinner.

Can't wait to try it. this is my first pulled pork smoke. I followed meathead's recipe. also made the the creamy slaw and a side of modified Bush's beans including some of my own bacon.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here