Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp issue with new Chimp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I talked to a guy at Grilla and he said its very likely the pellets and a bad batch that run hotter than average. And the grilla grills have an algorithm they use that factors in the fuel and some sort of average BTU of pellets I guess. So next step is to get another bag of pellets. The ones I have are the Lumberjack Apple blend. He said their experience with Lumberjack is good so I'll get another bag from a different store and a different blend. Maybe hickory.

Comment

• grantgallagher
      grantgallagher commented
      Editing a comment
      I want to say apple is one of the lowest BTU pellets so that makes it even odder. But maybe it was a batch with a funky blend if its not 100% apple etc etc, could be many reasons.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      My fave is currently Bear Mountain.

I've noticed my OG tends to run 10-15 degrees above the set point also, especially when I want to run at 225 or below. I've taken to offsetting the set point to compensate.

Comment

Test it in PID mode and see what it does. Pro mode is likely mostly timing based, so would be dependent on pellets, weather, direct sunlight, etc. If you want it to act like an oven, you need to use the oven (PID) mode or tinker with feed rates until you get it right. Unless you’re using the same pellets and have the same conditions as whomever guessed the timing did theirs in.

Comment

• big_mack
        big_mack commented
        Editing a comment
        I stated already its in Mode 1, which is PID.

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        big_mack Sorry, my bad. I don’t have a Grilla, so don’t know mode 1 from two. I figured since you were adjusting feed rates it was the non-PID mode. Seems odd to have adjustments available at all in PID mode. The feedback you shared from their support makes me think I probably don’t want a Grilla.
        Last edited by glitchy; June 9, 2022, 07:27 PM.

• big_mack
        big_mack commented
        Editing a comment
        glitchy I don't know enough about pellet controllers to know the logic of which mode would have feed rates. The jury is out on their support still. I need to give them a good chance to help me.

grantgallagher doesnt look like it was the pellets. I picked up some lumberjack hickory and did more testing. Also set the feed rate to the factory setting of 9% as recommended by Grilla, up from 5% that i was running in previous tests. When running in the 350F range it was pretty good. But I want to do slow and low long smokes. Check out these results. The middle one is very odd. The whole 200F range is just messed up. This is not good at low temps and that is a disappointment to say the least. Its high and erratic. I'll be phoning them again tomorrow.

Set 250F running around 300F
      Set 200F running at 320F
      Set 180F running at 280
      Last edited by big_mack; June 9, 2022, 03:34 PM.

Comment

I have it set at the lowest temp, 180F, and three probes are reading actuals of 330F. And you can see its in mode 1.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20220609_152123.jpg Views:	0 Size:	567.9 KB ID:	1234476
        Last edited by big_mack; June 9, 2022, 03:26 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah that's not right, at all. At least it agrees that it's at 330.

• grantgallagher
          grantgallagher commented
          Editing a comment
          if i missed this already ignore me, have you tried updating or resetting the firmware?

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          grantgallagher I have not. Was thinking about it but decided to just run some more tests tonight to see if its stays consistent and talk to support tomorrow and see what they suggest.

Actually this chimp is not the wifi version. so I dont think I can update the firmware.
          Last edited by big_mack; June 9, 2022, 05:04 PM.

When I first got the Chimp, I ran it in PID mode just to see if it worked. The grill temp was higher than the set temp by about 20 degrees, if I remember correctly. Since then I have always used pro mode, and the grate temp reads 10-15 degrees above the set temp pretty consistently. Not enough to bother with. I could change the feed rate - it is still the factory set rate - but I am lazy and it isn't enough of a difference to matter. I have used lots of different pellets and I haven't seen a difference. I replaced the original controller with the Bluetooth controller awhile back and it behaves the same.

All that being said, their response is bull. I would call them back and tell them that is unacceptable, and if that is the best they can do tell them Camp Chef would welcome your business. Or Green Mountain. And demand a refund and free shipping to return the thing. I have talked to their customer service several times and they were always helpful. I had some problems with the folding legs, and after a few calls they shipped me new ones.

Comment

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          See my comment below. what your said about yours is what I was expecting from mine but its not happening consistently.

I have no idea why, but the Chimp actual temps are now a lot more in line with the set temp today. I got up at 6 AM for work (from home) and fired up the Chimp and set it at 250F and tested with the 3 probes again and the temps were very close to 250F. Ran it for a bit and it stayed consistent. Turned it off, cooled it down. Set it to 350F and temps were very close again. Turned it off and set it to 225 and temps were not as good, settling in around 235 to 240F. Turned it off and cooled down and retested 225F and its very close, but right after checking it shot up to 300F, which is very weird. Its almost like Mode 1 is behaving like Mode 2. I'll phone Grilla support and see what they say.

Comment

• big_mack
          big_mack commented
          Editing a comment
          rickgregory I think I must have done the dance but its hazy. I woke up with an empty bottle of rum and my chimp cooker was working much better. I will try it again tonight just to make sure. Left a msg with grilla waiting to hear back. Man, asking about house voltage! Now that's real troubleshooting depth of knowledge right there! Its been a while but when I was an audiophile I was on top of that stuff, but not so much any more.

• radiodome21
          radiodome21 commented
          Editing a comment
          Clearly it was the 2 dozen cooks in what…..24 hrs? 🤪.

Still can’t wrap my head around the answer. Glad it’s looking better.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          big_mack - wait, light rum or dark rum??

As one recovering audiophile to another... power conditioner

the Chimp is now the Champ, after all. I have no idea why I was getting such high temps the first two days so its a bit of a mystery. I'll chalk it up to break-in. Grilla support has been good in the end. Once I phoned them I got good support, including a call today on Saturday.

I did a lot of no cooking food test runs on Friday. I love the pellet cooker for the ability to turn it on and off like a kitchen oven. No manual loading of charcoal and lighting and extinguishing it multiple times. With pellets you just push a button. I can see why people love this type of smoker. Its so easy to use, you will use it all the time, and cook more food with it than you would a charcoal smoker, by far.

With the high temp issue out of the way, I did my first slow and low cook with a rack of ribs. its a 5-6 hour cook at 225F. And the temp consistency was very good. this was in mode 2, non PID, so there was some peaks and valleys, but a good 225F average. Feeling confident in the Chimp, I even left the house for a couple of hours.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220611-164430_FireBoard.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	1235472

Can't sign off without a picture of the whole point of the exercise.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	20220611_163805.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1235473

Comment

• jhapka
          jhapka commented
          Editing a comment
          You got a ‘couple dozen’ cooks in fast

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Now that's what I am talking about

Nice. Glad that it worked out. I’m at my lake house doing 2 racks on my Traeger 575. Haven’t used it in a while. Compared to my Grilla it feels….light. But I still love it. My Silverbac has given me some WTF moments but I love it. It’s great. My sister in law was asking me some advice on pellet grills because she was thinking of getting one for her husband. My first question was…..How much time do you have?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here