Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Chimp/AlphaConnect wireless issues solved?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Chimp/AlphaConnect wireless issues solved?!

As I've written, I have done everything I could think of to figure out why my Chimp's AlphaConnect loses connectivity so often. (Since late January, I lost the capability of starting the grill remotely without unplugging it and plugging it back in. And my grill loses connectivity often and typically does not recover.)

I posted my woes on the Grilla Facebook group this afternoon and one commentator said he had a similar issue and then connected his AlphaConnect to his Verizon MIFI and it solved the problem.

Wait a sec....I have a Verizon MIFI I use for traveling. Lemme try it!

So I deleted my grill from the app and re-hooked it up through my MIFI.

It is working perfectly! Just like my Chimp worked the first 45 days I had it! Bliss!!

This is a very crucial clue. As I have written, I have done nearly everything short of wiring an ethernet port to the Chimp to make it work. Maybe the problem isn't with my local network, but my upstream provider (which is Comcast/Xfinity).

I am still mulling through how this solved things....and I need to go through some more cooks to be sure....but this is promising.

Good News! Keep us updated. Interested.

Comment

One thought - the Grilla only connects to 2.4GHz Wifi, not 5GHz. Are you certain your 2.4GHz wifi is not having issues? Could be that your other devices are connecting to 5GHz, and you don't know there is a problem on the 2.4GHz band...

That said, I would not be surprised at Comcast blocking traffic and causing issues. I teach a life group (class) at my church, and the only folk that have trouble receiving some of the emails I send out each week with information on what we will be studying are a couple of people with Comcast email addresses (I use Google GSuite with a custom domain - basically Gmail). Interestingly, if I send from an Apple iCloud address, those same people get my emails.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        It is a possibility my 2.4 GHz transceiver is on the fritz, but I have several 2.4 GHz only devices and they seem to operate fine; however, they are not in constant use, like a printer.

At the risk of breaking a forum rule, Comcast is the devil and I refuse to do business with them. They don't have the franchise agreement where I live now, which is nice.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        I couldnt agree more. I signed a 2-year deal a while back at a guaranteed price of X for said 2 years. 9 months into it they announce i need to pay more if dont want data throttling. Byebye. Switched to fios and they paid the cancellation fee. Never looked back.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        From an avowed atheist, yes, Comcast came from down below.

So far, this looks very promising. I didn't do a cook today, but I did play around with it. I even turn the MiFi on and off a few times and the grill reconnected perfectly each time it came up. I've also had the MiFi quite a ways away from the grill at times, which suggests this was never a signal strength issue.

Maybe it is something with Comcast's upstream devices. Maybe Comcast's implementation of PAT in the router is messed up. Maybe the router just drops a lot of UDP packets.

I did find out my "solution" has made it into the Grilla customer support database as a suggestion for others who are having this problem.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I am guessing for those without a MiFi hotspot, they could setup a hotspot on their cellular phone and do it that way.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here