Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilla PID vs PRO modes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilla PID vs PRO modes

I am in love with my Grilla Chimp. Wow, I am having so much fun with this thing. Meals I would never have cooked outside, I now am doing routinely.

I've been experimenting with the PID and PRO modes (I have the AlphaConnect controller, but I believe these were Mode 1 and Mode 2 on earlier controllers), trying to come up with some rules-of-thumb for their uses.

This is more difficult than anticipated as many other variables are in play..... manufacturer of pellets, ambient temperature, meat mass in cooker, total cook time, etc.

My initial conclusions is that the PID mode does what it is designed to do across a range of set temperatures. I keeps the temp within +/- 15 degrees, although spikes do happen.

The PRO mode is being more difficult to pin down. Its purpose is to get more smoke by allowing larger temperature swings. However that is (literally) only one half of the story. To get the lower temps, which produce more smoke, it must also upswing significantly, potentially raising the temperature higher and for longer periods of time than desired.

Pellet grills being pellet grills, most of my experiments have been at 250 F to naturally, as it were, encourage more smoke. I've had better luck with the PID mode at 225 - 250 F than PRO. With PRO, things routinely got 275 F and higher; for a long cook this is probably not that bad, but for short cooks that is not where I want the temperature to be.

My current thinking is that PRO is probably best for longer 300 F+ cooks, in which temperature swings are less problematic and the PRO mode has the potential to show what it can do. (Pellet smoke clearly gets very thin above 300 F.)

What rules of thumb have yall found?

Don't have a Grilla, but strongly suggest you stick at 225 until you dial things in. That's where most pellet grills shine in consistency and smoke production.

When you get it dialed in then start bumping up temps. For example some cookers you are better off running at 245 instead of 250 because smoke production drops significantly at 250. On other models the cut off point in the algorithm might be 260 or 265 instead of 275. Just depends on the grill and the algorithm. You gotta find the sweet spots for what you are trying to do.

Comment

I’ve been cooking pork butts and chuck roasts overnight in my OG. I’ll use Pro Mode at 225. I’ve been putting them on about 10 PM and my crust is usually where I want it at 10 AM. I’ll then wrap the butts in pink butcher paper and the chucks in aluminum foil. At that time I’ll switch to PID mode and bump the OG up to 250 until they are probe tender. This has been working good for me.

Comment

That is mirroring my (exactly one week) experience.

Also, the idea that pellet grills cannot impart tasty smoke flavor is simply a myth. At 225/250 F, my Chimp, with Traeger Signature Blend Pellets imparts a wonderful smoke flavor, especially at 225 F when the Chimp has to pull back a bit and let some stuff smolder. (That chuff-chuff sound with the fan.)

Comment

If you get a chance to try Grilla’s competition blend, you might find them to be just as good as we do. These days we don’t use anything else … although there is a supply of BBQr’s Delight flavor pellets on hand if needed.

Comment

I do basically the same. If I am going to smoke a butt or chuck at a lower temp then I am using PID. Basically anything else especially at a higher temp I am using the PRO mode. I have not had a bad cook yet from the silverbac. Very pleased. I have also used the Grilla Competition Blend and have had good success. However, I have also recently used Bear Mountain and had good success there as well.

Comment

I’ve only used the Pro Mode since I bought my Silverbac in April. I’ve only done overnight cooks with butts and I did those at 180, 200, and 225 with fantastic results. I usually do lower temps on the smaller butts because I don’t need those done necessary at noon. I have a butt thawing in my fridge right now for the weekend and this will be my first overnight cook in really cold weather.

I’started with same Traeger pellets you’re using and expanded my horizons. I bought a lot of Bear Mountain and Dicks sporting goods sells lumberjack pellets for $15 a bag. I need to get more because I’m running low….I only have 3 bags on hand. Love my pellet grill.

Comment

I think you're stressing too much about the temp swings. The Pro/PID modes don't mean a whole lot either. The best way to figure out which mode and temps work for you is to simply keep good notes on each cook. If you do steaks at 250 degrees in PID mode, then next time do them at 250 degrees in Pro mode. Then decide for yourself which is better. If they didn't get enough smoke for your tastes, then drop the temp down to 225 degrees, and see if that gets you closer to what you want.
                If you want to do a lot of testing all in one day, and not break the bank, then do burgers. Two pounds of hamburger will let you do 8 quarter pound tests, for under $20.
                My general guidelines are going to be different than others, because I almost always use a smoke tube regardless of what meat I'm cooking. The main reason for that is I run higher temps to cut back on cooking time, and still get the smoke profile I like. Without the tube, I would need to run closer to 180-200 degrees to hit my preferred smoke level. Bottom line is, you have a new toy. Play with it and see what you can do with it. Just remember, it's only BBQ. If you really screw it up, the local pizza place will still bring you supper, so no worries.

Comment

I do the opposite of whats mentioned here. I use pro for low and slow and pid for higher cooks. The only difference is the pellet feed rate. Pro does it in batches vs pid giving a slower constant feed.

Comment

proportional integral derivative---Try saying that 3 times fast. "PID-PID-PID".

Comment

I don't have the Chimp, I own a Silverbac.
                      If I want to increase smokiness we run 180*F on mode 2 (pro) for a half hour then turn it up to 225*F to finish the cook.
                      They both hold temperature very well, so controlling cooking temp. is almost a mute point.
                      We cook outside in the winter, and the food is different than in summer. At first I thought it was the colder temperature, but the grill can easily handle it. So I am starting to think it's more about humidity (or the lack thereof in winter,) so we use mode 1 (PID) more because the fan blows less which keeps the dry air at bay a little more. I even sprayed the drip pan after I did the meat, trying to create a little more moisture. It seemed to work, but I will have to experiment with that a little more.
                      Also, because it's more like a convection oven you can cut the cooking temp. down around 20-25*F on mode 2 (Pro). So 225 can go down to 205 etc. I turn it down when I think the meat is cooking a little too fast.
                      Also, the feed rate setting can be changed for colder weather. This will change all your cooking times which messes me up a little, but it really works. You can crank it all the way up and you've turbo charged it and can cook the fastest steak around.

Comment

PRO mode is the traditional mode that Grilla used to only offer on all their smokers. "Trust the swing" was what they said. It will average out to the set temp, but will swing above and below it. I personally would use that PRO mode for all smoking below 300F. I would only use PID mode if I wanted to use it like an oven and bake at 350F or something.

I spent a LOT of time researching pellet grills several years back, and talked to Grilla customer service multiple times, and had narrowed my choice in grills down to the OG (Original Grilla) based on the fact that the mode (now Pro mode) that it operates in will yield smokier results than you see on other pellet smokers, or in PID mode, and would be closer to what I would expect, coming from charcoal and wood burners. That swing is what allows the Grilla to produce more smoke and better results at 225F, 250F or 275F than the typical pellet rig can produce.

I ended up going through some family stuff that delayed my purchase of any new grills, then I was gifted a flat top by some great friends, and 6-7 months later won the Great Giveaway, choosing the SNS Kamado. So at this point, it would be hard to find room to bring in yet another grill, so I don't see the Grilla in my future any time soon, but it's still on my MCS wish list of course!
                        Last edited by jfmorris; January 6, 2022, 07:28 AM.

Comment

On my Silverbac I lowered the auger minimum feed rate from 12 to 7 for BBQr's Delight pellets and I'm seeing less overshoot of the set temp on startup, more swing in Pro mode and steadier temps in Pid mode. I don't have a lot of cooks under the belt yet, but I'd recommend you go to settings then tap on the info icon beside the auger feed rate setting and there's a video link there too.

Comment

From my past experiences, I think your Chimp is going to have a better smoke profile than a Silverback overall. Every pellet grill I’ve had with a rear exhaust seems to be noticeably better than those with a stack on one end. My take aways are the exhaust, controller, and drip pan design all play a part.

As far as temps, having had some Traegers in the past, I’ve learned to be happy when temps consistently stay within 25-30 degrees plus or minus the set point. They could probably really swing more and still cook fine, but I think it’s harder to avoid burning rubs with lots of sugars if you don’t know where it’s going to peak.

I’ve never had a Grilla, but with the comments above about feed rates make it sound kinda like the old Traeger p settings. You can hopefully dial in the Pro mode to only swing 25 degrees using the feed rate. You’ll probably have to adjust ongoing seasonally though.
                            Last edited by glitchy; January 6, 2022, 10:20 AM.

Comment

I recently upgraded my Grilla OG with the Alpha Connect controller and have been fiddling with Alpha vs. Pro modes myself. So far, here's what I'm thinking:
                              • If smoke flavor is NOT important, it's Alpha (PID) mode at all temps.
                              • If smoke flavor IS important, then
                                • it's Pro mode at all temps, and
                                • I'll also try to keep the cooking temp at or below 300F (350F for fowl) where smoke will be more intense.
                              I've also played around with starting the OG in Alpha mode until reaching my target cooking temp (to minimize massive temperature swings until it settles down) then, if smoke is important, shifting into Pro mode for the rest of the cook.

Finally, even though I avoid very low temps (below 200F), I'm thinking that's also where Alpha (PID mode) might be better, in an attempt to avoid temperature swings that might drop the OG down into the flameout danger zone.

So far so good ...
                              Last edited by MBMorgan; January 6, 2022, 11:15 AM.

Comment

• DrJimmy2112
                                DrJimmy2112 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                I assumed that during the "warm up to target temp" phase, the temp would not fluctuate in mode 2/Pro. I may be wrong but that would seem to be a obvious electronic/software design thing that Grilla engineers would do. My assumption may be wrong though. Wonder what Grilla says?

• MBMorgan
                                MBMorgan commented
                                Editing a comment
                                DrJimmy2112 - In the old Pro mode, the temp will initially overshoot the target temp, then undershoot, then overshoot (you get the idea) until it stabilizes into a steady "Pro Mode" oscillation centered on the target temp. If you start up in Alpha (PID) mode, there is little overshoot and the OG stabilizes quickly to maintain temp within a few degrees of target.

• DrJimmy2112
                                DrJimmy2112 commented
                                Editing a comment
                                MBMorgan thank you. I do note the initial overshoot. I will try to start up in Alpha/mode 1 next time and watch.

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here