Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chimp, inaugural cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chimp, inaugural cook

Basic burgers.

So far, this is a fun thing to use! The app is amazing. Really good UI.

Mechanically and structurally, this thing exudes quality. There are no corners cut here.

Temp wise..... well, the interior thermometer tracks nicely with my Smoke and Thermapen. It is often off by 20-25 degrees, but then, it is wedged up against the left side of the grill, whereas my Smoke is in the middle of the grill.

Now the meat probe....the meat probe is quite suboptimal. Off by 30 degrees. (Yes, you can adjust this.) But if you were expecting Thermaworks level of accuracy......out it goes.

Also, at least with Traeger pellets, this thing puts out a decent amount of smoke....so much so that I actually expect my burgers to be over-smoked. I'll let yall know.

This is fun!
    Last edited by Michael_in_TX; December 29, 2021, 02:45 PM.

I can't see the pictures, comrade.

..., ..., ...!

Comment

I really enjoy my Chimp! My meat probe is about 10 degrees higher than my Thermapen, so close enough for me and my built-in thermometer is about 5 degrees off from my grate-level sensor. The SS is so easy to clean!

Comment

Dont have a Chimp, but am a fan of Grilla. Enjoy!

Comment

I too had issues with the meat probe. Even had them send me a replacement. Didn’t solve anything until I calibrated it by putting it in a cup of ice water. No issues since. Love my Silverbac. .

Comment

OMG these are the best burgers I have ever done!

So tasty!

Perfect amount of smoke, and a good tasting smoke at that. Traeger Signature Blend pellets, for what it is worth.

I nearly went out and fired it up again to cook another one!

(This shot looks drier than it actually was.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-5232.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1150604

Comment

• DavidNorcross
              DavidNorcross commented
              Editing a comment
              How did you prepare? Temp's. time?

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Bite through, teeth marks, well done.
              Traeger Signature Blend pellets . . . my Goto pellets for my Traeger Timberline 850.

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              It was very simple.....just 1/4 lb 80/20 chuck patties, seasoned on both sides with Meat Church's Holy Cow rub (and excellent beef rub, and also great on eggs). Took about 1 hour at 225 (although I bumped it up to 275 near the end as I was getting hungry!). Pulled them at 160 F.

I am hoping 2022 sees a Grilla on my patio.

Comment

• Michael_in_TX
              Michael_in_TX commented
              Editing a comment
              It should fit in right between your Weber and your PBJ, just as my Chimp has!

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellet poopers!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here