Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drip pan in the OG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drip pan in the OG?

Tomorrow I’m doing my first whole turkey on my OG. I will spatchcock a 10 pounder. In the past I’ve put a drip pan under the grill grates on my gasser. However the heat deflector drip pan in the OG is slanted to the back. I’m not sure how to place a pan on it without the drippings spilling over. Also I’m not sure how to make it fit under the grates.
    Anyone else use a drip pan on that OG drip plate?

The OG deflector gets mighty hot … maybe a little too hot to avoid burning drippings. In my OG, I generally set a large foil pan on the OG lower grate. I set another grate on the pan and the meat on that. Works quite well.

Comment

• DrJimmy2112
      DrJimmy2112 commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh excellent. That sounds like a good idea. Thank you so much for the reply and help. So I assume/hope that the bird will fit in the OG even when place up on the foil pan. O am assuming also that the fail pan can support that weight of the bird.
      I imagine I will have to remove the upper half grate, but that is no big deal, I was not planning on using it during the turkey cook time.
      Thank you again MBMorgan and happy Thanksgiving!

How did your bird turn out? Did the extra-grill-on-a-pan work for you or did you resort to something else? FWIW, if in the future you want to smoke a moderate sized bird on the OG, you might consider getting the upper grill grate extension from Grilla. It really adds a lot of elevated cooking space and makes it easy to set a pan (or pans) below on the main grate.

Comment

• DrJimmy2112
      DrJimmy2112 commented
      Editing a comment
      MBMorgan Sorry for the late reply- I think it went well. I did not put water in the drip pan as we were making gravy elsewhere, and that dried out the meat a bit. The legs and thighs were done before the breast. I learned a lot, those who ate were happy, though I see quite a bit of room for improvement. Thank you for the help!

Oh yes I put the bird in as the OG went from 125 -> 225 deg to get extra smoke flavor...it worked too well. I found the smoke profile a bit strong...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here