Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilla Alpha Connect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grilla Alpha Connect

I got the upgrade a few weeks ago and it is pretty slick. I didn't document the installation but it went pretty quickly. Since then the only thing I have used is the Chimp. The connect doesn't graph or save cooks like the fireboard, but it works like a champ. I monitored a cook from my office downtown, changed the temps and set some alarms. Here is a shot of the interface
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211009-155157_Grilla Grills.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	1107445
    I am really tempted to get rid of the WSM and replace it with an OG.

I just upgraded my OG with the new Alpha Connect and, like you, experienced no issues with the installation. I could probably have lived without it … but MCS might have killed me . Regardless, the new controller takes the OG to a new, higher level.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m with you, my friend. For a number of reasons, I now depend entirely on my Weber Gasser plus OG combo for all my outdoor cooking. I think that an OG plus kettle would be even better. Go for it!

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      If burn restrictions weren’t such a local PITA around here, I’d probably have a Weber 26” out back, too. In fact, I just might have to make it happen.

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      I got an OG, 22” Kettle and 28” Blackstone. I don’t see me needing anything else.

..., ..., ...!

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      DITTO

• klflowers
      klflowers commented
      Editing a comment
      The call has faded somewhat. I was in Ace the other day and it was so faint I could hardly hear it.

Not sure if you all had it before but I love the pause function. It’s so nice not getting heat spikes after opening up the door.

Comment

I am glad y'all are enjoying the app. It looks like Grilla knocked it out of the park again. I hope to join you someday!

Comment

Very impressed with Grilla so far.

Comment

Yup. Me too. What’s the pause feature do?

Comment

• STEbbq
            STEbbq commented
            Editing a comment
            Basically tells the controller to ignore the next five minutes so you can open the lid without creating a temp spike. Damn smart.

Do any of you have issues with the app closing if your phone screen is turned off for a period of time? With mine, the app reboots if I leave the screen off for a while or switch to other apps.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            I have not experienced this issue. I use an Android.

• klflowers
            klflowers commented
            Editing a comment
            I have not had that problem. When I first connected it it lost the wi fi signal a couple of times, but it corrected itself and I haven't had any problems since. Android.

Never had an issue with the iPhone app since I’ve had my grill since April.

Comment

Something occured to me that I over looked before buying, won't be a huge deal just more difficulty in setting up wifi and the app. Does Alpha connect require 2.4 or 5.0 ghz band? My new router is not like other brands, im unable to designate a particular band when connecting devices, unlike my older(now dead) router.

I guess i could always go buy a cheap wifi extender for 2.4ghz devices.

Comment

It will only connect to a 2.4Ghz network. I’ve got a dual band 2.4/5.0Ghz mesh router setup and it connected right away with no issues.

Comment

Originally posted by au4stree View Post
                Does Alpha connect require 2.4 or 5.0 ghz band? My new router is not like other brands, im unable to designate a particular band when connecting devices, unlike my older(now dead) router.

I guess i could always go buy a cheap wifi extender for 2.4ghz devices.
                Yep, the Alpha Connect, like many IoT devices is 2.4 GHz only. I've got the same issue as you....occasionally some of my systems downgrade themselves to the 2.4 GHz band to my utmost annoyance. Getting a 2.4 GHz only extender is actually an
                interesting solution to that problem (although I already have a dual band extender in place).

Another thing I've been meaning to do, but I keep forgetting until the grill is turned off is run an nmap scan against it and/or fire up wireshark and see what it is doing.

Comment

• au4stree
                  au4stree commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks for the feedback. Our new mesh system(Netgear Nightwawk) might have done a firmware update. It appears now that I can designate the guest as 2.4. Will update here after i get my grill and the solution. I'm like a kid at Christmas, will the grill ever get here....

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here