Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Maiden Voyage of the OG has begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Maiden Voyage of the OG has begun

Finally after a week of watching it rain on my OG I got to fire it up for the first time today

Click image for larger version

Name:	C6F50B76-A85C-43FB-A906-B3ED17C8FA8A.png
Views:	271
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	1044461

I love the window.

Started it up and took it to 450 for the initial burn off. It took about 20 minutes to get to 450. I let it burn for 45 minutes like it suggested.

After 45 minutes I pulled out my phone and dropped the temperature to 225 and put it in PRO mode.

I paid too much for three racks of St Louis cut ribs but what are you gonna do? Not eat ribs? I don’t think so. Got them rubbed down with a sweet heat rub I mixed up and on the OG they went.

Name:	38488775-AFB3-41A8-9DF6-C5A561513CCA.jpeg
Views:	275
Size:	298.5 KB
ID:	1044459

Name:	885DC9BC-7006-412D-A190-61294B2D7014.jpeg
Views:	276
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	1044460

One rack on the upper grate and two below. I’m going to leave them where they sit for the entire cook and see if there is a big difference between the two grates. While loading up the Grilla I hit Pause on the control panel so it wouldn’t over heat the smoker while I loaded it up.

Name:	48153D5F-2A7A-4025-ACEB-43229977B54E.png
Views:	301
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1044457

Set the timer for three hours and that’s that.

Name:	68BDEC6F-C7CD-4F9C-AB0A-74DAAAD05969.png
Views:	274
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	1044458

After 30 minutes still going.

Updates on the Maiden Voyage of the OG are to follow.

I love: "I paid too much for three racks of St Louis cut ribs but what are you gonna do? Not eat ribs? I don’t think so". Well said and perfect rationale.

Comment

That window does look cool. While I still have my sights set on the Chimp, I do love the OG's footprint. It is a unique and beneficial design.

In fact, this morning I was looking at other pellet grill manufactures and I keep coming back to Grilla. The quality for the price is unmatched and they just have a lot of little things that really increase the value, like the pause feature you mentioned.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        To me they went above and beyond what they needed to do to fix the problem.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        I agree. I've been emailing them with some questions, some quite obscure, and they respond quickly and thoroughly. I really do think they are very proud of their products.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        I second the customer service comment. They are very responsive. I like the OG too and I am seriously thinking about replacing my WSM with one.

Oops. Should have thought of rib placement a little more before I loaded it up.

Name:	017E845B-BD16-4A9D-AA92-7800B4D15346.jpeg
Views:	271
Size:	143.6 KB
ID:	1044487

A few dabs with a paper towel and a bit of a spin and the door is closed again.

Name:	8779E02C-4F23-4918-9328-4275D3A7AD9C.jpeg
Views:	277
Size:	151.1 KB
ID:	1044488

Comment

Very cool!

Comment

Keep it coming,
          ribs in the process looking close to the same.

Comment

After 4 hours @225. Got some nice color. I’m using Grilla Apple pellets.

Name:	A1651752-5831-486E-AF79-D330BCFDDD4F.jpeg
Views:	248
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	1044565

Comment

• bbqLuv
              bbqLuv commented
              Editing a comment
              Now they would pair well with PBR.

This is gorgeous.

Comment

So pretty and shiny! Not like my OG, kind of scuffed up and greasy. Mine looks like someone's been cooking in it for 4 or 5 years. Still love it though, even without all the fancy bells and whistles that come on them today. In 20 or 30 years, when it wears out I'll think about replacing it.

Comment

Need to see bend and bite through tests, and smoke ring.
                Keep 'em coming, I love it. you done good.

Comment

Huskee We need a NSFW tag

Comment

How very wonderful that ya git to do this, much less share it with us!!!

I'll be right here with ya...

Comment

After 5 hours of smoke they looked beautiful!

Name:	4A8E492D-56E8-4697-96DC-ECD703A43957.jpeg
Views:	257
Size:	289.6 KB
ID:	1044716

I then hit the top and front rack with Sweet Baby Ray’s and kept the back rack naked.

Name:	D2B1D541-1ED8-4614-B3F3-3D26F965226E.jpeg
Views:	224
Size:	287.8 KB
ID:	1044719

I shut the door for another 45 minutes while I finished up the yard work.

Name:	892BA28B-DA99-42B6-B4EF-A9699E7106A0.jpeg
Views:	221
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	1044718

Happy Happy! Joy Joy! Time to eat.

Name:	7060C7A1-B02E-4FD7-BA6D-C7DD468D0575.jpeg
Views:	226
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	1044717
                      These are the fatty end cuts of the naked ribs. They were so good.

Name:	C550578C-7CCE-406E-9499-49FCEC0D9059.jpeg
Views:	229
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	1044720

Here is a center cut from the rack left on top. The top rack could have used about 30 more minutes. Very good but not as tender as the two racks on the main grate.

I enjoyed these ribs from the Grilla. So easy. Got a bunch of yard work done today not worrying about my vent settings. I even ran to the grocery store mid cook.

I didn’t notice a big difference between smoke taste on the Grilla compared to my Weber. It was less but not a lot less. I really liked not having to fiddle with it all day to keep temp.

If Mother Nature cooperates next weekend I’m gonna shove a butt into the Grilla and see what it does to that.

Comment

Beautiful. I did a couple racks on the Chimp Memorial Day weekend and I felt the same. I can get my charcoal cookers to run at consistent temps, but it takes more time than the pelleteer

Comment

Wish I was there to help consume the consumables.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here