Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worth Making The Trip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Worth Making The Trip?

I am about a three hour drive from Grilla HQ in Michigan. Would it be worth making the trip to pick up a Grilla in person?

To be clear, I do not have immediate plans to buy a Grilla, but I have been wondering what folks would do.

Having never been to Holland, I can't recommend one way or the other. I think they throw in some free pellets if you buy it in person though, as it saves them the shipping costs b/c shipping is free.

I ordered my grill on a Wednesday and it was here 48 hours later. It was delivered on a pallet FWIW, and the delivery company was able to wheel it into my garage where I put it together the next day.

The Traeger I bought at our lake house in Wisconsin I bought online in the morning from for a pick up at the Home Depot in Lake Geneva. I needed a friend to help me get it into the car, and unload it. And honestly, it was a tight squeeze in the back of my SUV. I don't know the dimensions of the Grilla, but it is bigger than the Traeger so I don't even know if I could get in the car. Personally I wouldn't make the 6+ hour drive just to buy a Grilla. I might do it if I was there for some other reason and I knew I could fit it into my car, but that's also because I really hate driving into Indiana what with all the construction going on on the Tri-state and in the loop. If I was in the area, if anything, I would stop by their store and at least check it out.
    Last edited by radiodome21; May 26, 2021, 08:37 PM.

Comment

Depends on how busy you are. I’ve been to the store here in Dallas, and it’s a neat place to see all the cookers lined up together. You probably could get it home ok, especially if you have a pickup, but might need a buddy to unload. They do have a special deal for picking up rather than shipping.
      Here’s what you get:

Comment

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m retired, so I’d do it!

Pellet grill, now you're thinking.

Comment

If you "have no immediate plans to buy...". Then you probably shouldn’t. :-)

Comment

Holland MI is quite a neat town to visit in itself. They do go all out to live up to their name. You could make a day of it.

Comment

Take into consideration you won't have a courier or trucking company manhandling it for up to a week before delivery.
            Like Soonerpop I'm retired and do have access to a pick up so different situation for me.
            Moot point, can't get across the border anyway.

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Hey a little camo paint & ya could sneak across.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              They’re partially reopening the Province at midnight tomorrow and talking about reopening travel as they’ve got about half the population fully vaccinated now.
              Anyone you talk to now has had it with lockdowns, been so long I can’t even remember when it started

Another thing to consider......IL has a 10% sales tax. I just looked at my receipt from March. I paid $100 in taxes alone. I bought the grill and some accessories. Not sure what MI tax is, but I assume it's less than IL. That savings could go towards something good, like some 2 Hearted Ale from Bell's Brewery which is a little outside of Holland.
            Last edited by radiodome21; May 27, 2021, 10:50 AM.

Comment

• jtw
              jtw commented
              Editing a comment
              6% here in MI so you would save 4% on the grill. However, even with lower sales tax, I think our alcohol tax is higher than IL so Bell's beer ends up being more expensive here than IL (still a worthwhile thing to spend your savings on!).

I forgot about taxes. I ran the Grilla through the cart and tax ended up being $60 (so about 7%). I'd have to measure the SUV to see if it can fit in the back, but I'm guessing it probably can especially if I roll down the seats.

I will keep thinking about it.

I like the idea of the pick-up special, the chance to meet Mark and a few guys on the team, and a chance to visit my favorite brewery ( https://www.newhollandbrew.com/ ) .

Comment

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              I met Mark when he was here at the store one time. He’s really a nice guy, knows his stuff.

Grilla also sent me a $25 gift card offer since I added and removed something from my cart. Sneaky...

Comment

• barelfly
              barelfly commented
              Editing a comment
              buy buy buy buy!!!!!

• Soonerpop
              Soonerpop commented
              Editing a comment
              No brainer. They have one with your name on it.

Holland is a lovely town as I recall...it's been 25 yrs but I bet it's still beautiful.

Comment

Yes, Holland is beautiful. Been a while for me too, but good memories.

Comment

I lived in Holland for 4 years while I was in seminary, as well as numerous visits prior to that. I had relatives, including grandparents, who lived there for many years. With the sights in Holland itself, and access to Lake Michigan, you can easily keep busy for several days. I traveled 90 miles each way to buy my OG from a former dealer, and six hours each way to buy my Blaz'n Grid Iron which was also a dealer closeout. Saved about $3-400 on the OG, and close to a grand on the Blaz'n with accessories that were thrown in. Also got to stay overnight with my daughter on the Blaz'n and see her new house. Where I live in the middle of no-where, 3 hours is not a long trip.

Comment

Inchin closer! Pull the trigger & go, yessir.

Comment

• Soonerpop
                    Soonerpop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    My thought exactly. Lots of reasons for a GO!

Pretty sold on making the trip.

A lot of unexpected expenses are going to have to push this back until probably next year though.

Sigh.

Comment

• Soonerpop
                    Soonerpop commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That’s a shame. So close.

• STEbbq
                    STEbbq commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Dude, I get it.Sad.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here