Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flinging pellets on a Grilla OG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enjoy!

Comment

Belated Welcome to the Jungle.

alpha mode is the constant temp pid mode…

the pro smoke mode is the Grilla original. The byword with Grilla owners before the Alpha came out a couple years ago was "Trust the Swing." The OG produces a good (for pellets) smoke flavor with the swing. Give it a go… 225 pro mode instead of 200 alpha.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm running Pro. I had confused myself and thought that was also Alpha.

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        Whew... yeah, PID used to be called Alpha Smoke. Pro is the smokier mode.

Using better pellets is key. BBQers Delight, Cooking Pellets, and Lumberjack HMC (that's my jam because I can get it locally).

Any issues with moving it around over say sidewalk lips?

Comment

• Potkettleblack
        Potkettleblack commented
        Editing a comment
        I find moving it not that bad, over small bumps. It weighs about 180, so it's the wheels or naught. As noted, the landing gear pushes the front wheel down a few inches making it much easier to roll.

If you're going to be bumping it around a lot: https://store.grillagrills.com/produ...lla-pro-wheels

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        I find even with the landing gear up it tends to get stuck in concrete joints. Otherwise, it's been easy, but where I have it is all flat.

• Bogy
        Bogy commented
        Editing a comment
        You privileged guys with your "landing gear" have it so easy! Why, in my day (last week), I had to move my OG without and fancy schmancy moveable wheels. The wheels were where the guys in Holland put them, and you just had to deal with it. I haven't actually found it to be a problem, one less thing that can break!

I can’t speak for tdimond but with a little patience and a bit of upper body strength thrown in, I’ve managed to single handedly move my OG up and down a short flight of stairs a few times:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DB2E85D0-C5AD-4937-A265-73B373DC719B.jpeg
Views:	139
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	1042131

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        Good to know. The wheels looked a little recessed so was not sure.

• MBMorgan
        MBMorgan commented
        Editing a comment
        STEbbq - the front wheel extends an inch or so below the base of the OG when the "landing gear" is down. About 270 degrees of the two rear wheels are always exposed. You can lay the OG completely down on its back without scraping anything.

Looks awesome. How did it compare to the Chucky? I've never thought about smoking a Chucky and would like to some beef. Just not sure which way to go.

Comment

• tdimond
        tdimond commented
        Editing a comment
        I like both. Make sure it's a well marbled chucky if you go that route. I liked the beef ribs better, but that was a function of figuring out the pellets and running at a lower temperature throughout. I've done chuckies on the PBC and on my kettle and they were both great.
        Last edited by tdimond; June 8, 2021, 05:52 PM.

It was time for a butt! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210613_042655710.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	289.5 KB
ID:	1045236Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210614_001340784.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	1045238Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210614_001853587.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1045237

Comment

• Soonerpop
        Soonerpop commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great!

I think future cooks will get their own thread. So here comes a brisket to round out this thread.

I only managed about 30 hours of dry brine and went with a simple rub this time, half pepper, half garlic. It's a prime whole packer from Costco. Trimmed weight is about 14 lb.

I'm using the Cookin' Pellets 100% hickory again.

jfmorris, this is what a whole packer looks like going in.

It's only 15 minutes into the cook, so we'll see how things look in the morning. Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210704_032124872.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	1054703

Comment

So, do you want to see what a loss of auger feed at 2:45 am PDT looks like?

I had to dump the hopper, vacuum out the auger, get restarted, and prompt an investigation from my father-in-law about all the weird noises.

The brisket was in the stall.

Things are running again, I should be back to cooking shortly. Food temp has dropped about 10 degrees during troubleshooting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210704-030525.png
Views:	98
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1054733Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210704_100755135.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1054734

Comment

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad you were able to save the cook! What was the cause?

• tdimond
          tdimond commented
          Editing a comment
          It looked like it lost feed, maybe due to some pellet fragments. Nothing was coming through the auger. It's been fine after I got everything set back up.

And the final results! It was probe tender at about 192° F, and I had to hold for dinner. It's pretty tasty! Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210705_004159927.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	1055188
        Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here