Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brisket on the Silverbac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brisket on the Silverbac

I haven't done a brisket in a very long time, and this is the first on the Silverbac with original non-PID controller. I've had this big chunk taking space in my freezer for a couple of years. It's an Angus marked "USDA Choice", about 14lbs. , probably came from Costco??

Usual routine; trimmed yesterday to remove most of the nasty hard fat, dry brined overnight, and rubbed this morning with BBBR. Onto the cooker about 0630, set the alarms on my Maverick, and went back to sleep. I'm NOT a morning person, so it takes something like this to get me looking at that part of the day!

Woke up about 1000, IT in the thick part was in the mid 150s and the cooker was happily holding its set temp. Waiting now to see if there will be much of a stall.

Click image for larger version  Name:	APR 2021 brisket.jpg Views:	43 Size:	1.38 MB ID:	1020456

UPDATE: The hunk was very much probe tender "like buttah", and floppy feeling after 11 hours. It's resting in the oven wrapped in foil at 170F, probably leave it for 2 hours or so.

I set the initial cooker temp at 275F, then reduced it to 230F after the first 4 hours (when I woke up again). It never seemed to stall, might have slowed a bit between 150 and 160F IT. I didn't wrap it, for two reasons. No paper, and I wanted to preserve the bark and wrapping in foil might have made it too soft.

It smells delicious, I think my wife was drooling a bit over the aroma as she helped me get it out onto a sheet pan and into the foil. This was the only time I wished I had the front shelf for the Silverbac. Maybe, someday.
    Last edited by BruceB; April 20, 2021, 06:04 PM.

Nice!

Comment

i want to lick it

Comment

Ya didn’t lose yer touch a bit! 👍👍👍

Comment

Looking good!

Comment

Looking good.
            Happy Grilling to you and PBR too.

Comment

Looks good! That is the nice thing about pellet grills, kind of "set it and go to sleep".

Comment

That looks great!

Comment

Bruce, what temp did you set your Silverbac at? And that does look good!

Comment

• BruceB
                    BruceB commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I started it at 275F, and reduced it to 230F after 4 hours. The thick part was still almost frozen when it went on, so I wanted a quicker start to keep the total time down. I thought my Maverick meat probe had failed, it starting reading LLL when first inserted, but then started reading 32F after I wasted 15 minutes looking for my spare probes.

Used a mix of Mesquite and whatever pellets were left in the hopper from last cook.
                    Last edited by BruceB; April 22, 2021, 12:40 PM.

Nice. And get the shelf. That seems like a cheaper-than-average MCS itch.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here