Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1st brisket on Davy Crockett

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st brisket on Davy Crockett

I’m getting ready to cook my first brisket on the DC I am
    wondering if anyone has used the upper rack, if there are any benefits or drawbacks to using the upper rack for a brisket?

I don't have a DC, but I almost always use the upper rack in my MAK 2 Star - not sure how much clearance the DC has, but the MAK has plenty of room on the upper grate. The advantage is that I can put a foil pan beneath the food on the main grates to catch drippings, thus very easy cleanup of the smoker. If you have a remote temp monitor (I use the Fireboard v2), you can measure the ambient temp on the upper grate and adjust your setpoint accordingly to get the temp you want where the food is.

Comment

I'd use it - having the ability to put a pan under the brisket is worth it (beans + drippings = heaven).

I'd recommend throwing a temp probe on the grate with the meat though, just to keep an eye on what theo temp is for the meat...

*edit:

I had a Traeger that I jury rigged my SNS second grate on, so my advice is not directly related to your cooker.
      Last edited by Loren; December 27, 2020, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Different pellet cooker but yes the second rack is great for the reasons @GolfGreezer mentioned plus I feel the heat and smoke has a chance of even out on my Yoder on the second shelf.. I do the probe on that shelf also.
        Good luck.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here