Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Daniel Boone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Daniel Boone

Am considering getting a GMG Daniel Boone pellet smoker. Choice model is running $499, wifi at $699. Any user recommendations?

I don't know much about them, but my local hardware store sells a lot of them.

​​​​​​It's a small shop and the owner seems to take pride in offering high quality products.

How much do you like crlontrolling your smoker from your phone? Is wifi worth $200?

Comment

• Thomassen
      Thomassen commented
      Editing a comment
      I am intrigued by GM's programmable features.

• zinfella
      zinfella commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not saying that everyone thinks the upgraded model is worth the extra bucks. but there's a lot more included in the upgrade than the addition of WiFi. check out it. The WiFi is pretty sophisticated and offers far more than a remote temp check. But, to each his own, I'm not trying to spend your money.

I have the wi-fi and it can be nice on longer cooks but it certainly is not necessary. Try to decide how often u will use wi-fi and I mean use not just check because u can. If I had to do over I wouldn’t bother with wi-fi not worth the extra for how often I use. I use mine heavily including during our cold Canadian winters and still performs well. The only part I have replaced in five plus years is the meat probe

Comment

• Thomassen
      Thomassen commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback.

Anybody got a Dan'l Boone Prime Plus yet? If so, do you have any comments?

Comment

Daniel Boone was a man. Yes a big man.
      With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a mountain was he.
      Daniel Boone was a man. Yes a big man.
      He was brave, he was fearless and as tough as a mighty oak tree.

Learn the theme song lyrics for Daniel Boone, Daniel Boone was a man. Yes a big man With an eye like an eagle and as tall as a...

Comment

I have an older model with wi-fi after a few firmware updates it works great when you need it. Must be close to 5 years old now and still going strong. I have not had to test the customer service although I hear it is top notch.

Comment

part of the fun of BBQ is tending to the cook, PBR, family and friends. I was not sure about wifi smoker until I watched Matt Pitman do a week day brisket. From that point on I am considering up grading to a TimberLine 850 from my Cabela's/Pitboss pellet grill.

Comment

I have a cousin that has a Daniel Boone (w/ wifi) and he absolutely loves it.
            He owned a couple pellet cookers prior to that but wanted a little extra...seems it gets used several times a week.

Comment

I will say GMG's customer service is top notch. I had a DB and hated it because it was a lemon. There was something wrong with it and we couldn't figure out what it was. I'm sure it was something stupid and easy likely causing all my problems, but if I was lucky at that time I might get a couple of afternoons a month to throw on a bunch of food to make to bag/freeze for leftovers to eat the next couple weeks while we chased kids everywhere. I didn't have time to test this and that, watch the fans, listen to the auger for hours, etc. I threw away a lot of food because it was covered heavily with ash.

I'm not bashing the product, like I said I just got a lemon that was probably a simple fix with enough time invested to find it. It was also at a time they were making very frequent changes to the model. WiFi was new, the sliding drip tray for grill was just released, etc. If all their grills worked like the one I had they wouldn't be in business anymore.

I called GMG many many times over the time I had it and they were always polite, responsive and did everything they could to be helpful. They sent parts, then even sent out a local district rep to take a look (he didn't find anything, but looked for an hour or so) and finally arranged for me to return the grill to where I bought it from even though the return window closed many months before that. So, I give kudos to the company and their support for standing behind their stuff.

There are a lot of pellet grills in this price range. The GMG's do tend to pack a lot of features into theirs per $ spent and have some nice accessories. If it works like it should, could be a very nice pit. I remember it definitely being sturdier than other pellet pits in this price range.

Comment

My experience with GMG was a little less stellar. I bought one a couple years ago and had issues with it after the 4th or 5th cook. On two different occasions it burnt back into the pellet hopper feeding tube and once it almost blew the door off it exploded so bad...Ha. I sold it to my buddy and he’s had similar issues. I will say that their customer service was very responsive but I just didn’t trust it after that, YMMV.

Comment

• zinfella
                  zinfella commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Living in a mobile home a fire is the last thing I need! Sorry GMG, I'm not taking the chance. Weber's auger setup prevents fire back into the hopper, and all the chaos that would go with it.

I have a DB Prime I picked up on sale last year for $550. I recently installed the GMG rotisserie in my DB and I love how it is working. I've don whole chickens, ribs and pulled pork on the rotisserie and it has improved the quality of my cooks greatly. This link shows some ribs rotating.

Last edited by MarkB1; November 16, 2020, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Had a DB for about 4 years. With wifi. I wanted something I could watch remotely when necessary. Mostly I don't need it, but when I do, it's nice to have. This is the only pellet smoker I've ever owned, so my opinion is just that, an opinion, but I'd rank GMG middle of the pack. Not the best, not the worst.

Agree with posters above regarding their support; it's good. If you do buy one, I have a few do's and don'ts that I can pass along.

Comment

• JCGrill
                    JCGrill commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Ha. And that will teach me to look at the date of the OP.

• Nittany347
                    Nittany347 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    JC, I’m looking at the prime plus now. I’d appreciate hearing your do’s and don’t. Thanks.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here