Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Learning to cook in different weather!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to cook in different weather!

I'm finally back. Missed all you guys. Between a household move from California to Wyoming, and being away for about 3 months after moving, cooking has been on the back burner, so to speak. Today I'm back into it, with a couple of chuck roasts to be used for chili. Can't wait.

However, although it's nice out (in the low 60's -- warm for now in Wyoming), the wind is blowing like it only can on the plains. So my GMG Daniel Boone is struggling a bit to keep up, even with a blanket over it. I've had the stack vent all the way open for California cooking, so I closed it down about half way. Didn't really seem to make a difference. Anyone know whether I should increase the set temp (at 260 now, but pit is at 216 inside) or damp the stack down, or open the stack up? The meat will cook eventually, but I'm not looking forward to supper at about midnight!

Thanks!

I don't know anything about GMG's, but I have cooked a lot of chuck roasts. Bump that set temp up as needed and show those chuckies who's in charge!

Comment

I don't own one either, but I found this online.

Comment

I have the same model of GMG. I use it all winter and up here in the frozen north we can get down to -40 F. I have to admit I most likely wouldn't BBQ at that temp but I do to at least -20 F. I have the thermal blanket as per the U tube video tbob4 posted. The important thing with wind is to make some sort of a wind break. In my experience with and without the thermal blanket the grill will come up to temp although it can take longer in cooler temperatures. If. yours is not coming up I would be looking for some way to at least partially deflect the wind, I have never had too much occasion to play with the exhaust vent I tend to keep it wide open year round.

Comment

Well Arty welcome to the plains and learning to use your GMG Daniel Boone. It has a lot of features you will have learn to let it do. It is a great pellet grill.

Comment

Welcome back!!! Great to hear fro you again.

Like Dave said above, wind is the real enemy. You can insulate the smoker, and that does help. If it does not deal well and it is windy, you will have issues.

I would make a wind break and then maybe look in to putting some gaskets on the door to help seal it up from the wind. That should help. Keep the thermal blankets in place to help with the cold and to keep the wind from suck the heat away fro the metal.

If your stack is wide open in windy conditions, you are going to generate a lot of draft. Damping that down should help some. But if the wind is really ripping, like I know it does out west, a wind break, thermal blanket and some gaskets might be your best bet.

Comment

Thanks, guys! All good suggestions. I closed the stack to about half-way, turned the set temp up to 285, and put a sandbag on the thermal blanket to hold it onto the cooker. The cooker caught up and has been able to maintain 270-275, so all is well. I have it situated on the back "patio" (such as it is), which blocks the direct wind but still has the normal gusty swirls. I'll work on some sort of windbreak in the future. And here I thought I knew my GMG! But cooking for a couple of years in sunny CA is different than in the WY wind. Fun to learn. Now for chuck roast chili for supper.

Comment

I use my bbq storage shed, similar to the photo here, as a windbreak when needed. Slide the lid back and keep adequate space from the sides and it does a good job as a wind break.

We drive across southern WY about 3 times a year. There are high wind warning signs on much of I-80 that say "high wind possible next 5 miles". We joke that the signs are placed 4 miles apart the whole way.
                Attached Files

Comment

Have you tried adjusting the settings of your grill using the GMG App on your IOS device? If you open the Grill settings option you can adjust for ambient conditions. This will alter the PID settings and the Grill will react faster or slower to temperature change.

Comment

• Andrrr
                    Andrrr commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I didn’t realize that option was there. Thanks!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here