Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Davey Crockett first try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Davey Crockett first try

I must say I’m kind of amazed that with all these members that I’m the first one post anything on this channel. Does anyone use these or are they so simple there’s nothing to talk about?
    Anyways a guy at work wants to get rid of his DC because he doesn’t like it. This was his first smoker and he’s had it less than a year. Says things always turn out dry. I didn’t get into his methods but it seems to me that a water pan could fix that.
    So he let me borrow it and the next morning I threw an 8lb butt on to cook while I was at work. I put the butt on a rack with a water pan underneath. All of this barely fit but good enough. Having only ever used charcoal for grilling and smoking the entire process felt like cheating but I was impressed with the end result. One side did get dry but I think that had more to do with the positioning of the heat diffuser than anything else as the other side was perfect.
    I’ve only ever used my Weber kettle and 22” WSM and I can’t say I’ve come across anything that I haven’t been able to cook so getting another grill was never a thought. And I rather enjoy the art of taming fire. But this little guy is intriguing enough that if the price is right I may just have to add it to the collection. If anything it’ll give me a little more capacity during cookouts.
    That said does anyone have any long term experience with this grill or have anything to say about the durability? With all the technology and moving parts I know it’s only a matter of time before things start breaking. Thanks in advance!

I've had my GMG for several years and like it. Just make sure you use your own digital probe at grate height to know your temp at the grate. The built in thermometer will not likely be correct by 20 to 40 degrees shy.

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks guys. Once I saw how dry one side was I knew I’d have to do a few dry runs to see where I had to position the diffuser. Have you noticed the position depends on what direction/speed the wind is coming from?

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the deflector all the way to the right. I haven't noticed any correlation between wind and position of the deflector. If you get this one, be sure to update the firmware. Newer firmware versions have better temp calibration, programmable offsets and new "climate" settings that adjust how the controller operates in different climates.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback

Thanks all. I do have a dual probe maverick. From what I gather you’re saying use the built in thermometer but put my own at grill height. Once the temp has evened out take the difference between the built in and mine and compensate with the grill temp? Seems like that would get me to where I want.

As for the water pan it was only a knee jerk reaction to my co-worker saying everything he cooked was dry. And that I always fill my WSM water pan and nothing I’ve cooked has been dry. Why deviate from what works? It would def be more convenient to not use one.

And yes, I wish the cooking grate was bigger but it is what it is. Honestly I see this filling in as a weeknight cooker so I can enjoy long cook BBQ any night of the week.

Comment

• aladdin4d
      aladdin4d commented
      Editing a comment
      I've never had anything come out dry. If I was going to take a wild guess I'd say it sounds like the original owner might have had some selection and preparation issues long before any meat made it to the cooker.

As far as size goes yes it is small but I've been able to do 12lb briskets and spatchcock turkeys so I call it big enough for me! I did rig up a second rack out of stuff I had lying around that comes in real handy but all in all I've never felt that limited by the size.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you regarding prep.

I have the Daniel Boone. Early on I had a lot of complaints about it, mainly the app. But a few other minor quibbles too. A couple of years and a few updates later, it's far better. And the cooks have always been good. Likely would not be the one I would buy if I were starting over, but I'm not about to get rid of it or swap it out.

Comment

Hi Andrrr There's mroe talk about the GMG Davy Crockett here scattered about. We're in the midst of restructuring our channels and moving old posts to the new channels. You just so happen to be the first to post about one since the change, but if you search Davy Crockett in the Search Box you'll likely find lots more!

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        Lucky me. That would certainly explain it! I just couldn’t believe there was no talk of these. Thanks for the heads up.

Thanks for the input. I won the Daniel Boone here (thank you very much!). I also have a campchef gas/wood smoker and I don't have a prob with that one. The GMG did come out dry and next time I'll try adding water inside. Has anyone tried swabbing to keep it moist, or maybe an injector? Thank you.

Comment

• Andrrr
        Andrrr commented
        Editing a comment
        I haven’t had any long smokes on it since due to cold temps and having trouble getting it to 225 but I would definitely spritz next time. It’s tough getting a water pan in the DC but getting one in the DB seems easy.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here