Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pellet Grills: Adjust chimney exhaust air outlet or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pellet Grills: Adjust chimney exhaust air outlet or not?

I have been cooking on a weber summit charcoal and have learned to balance the exhaust air vent to maintain temperatures, etc etc ... I just picked up a GMG Trek and read in the manual to keep the chimney vent wide open ... anyone experiment and have any guidance on this? I am wondering if some closure of the vent would cause more circulation of the smokey goodness in the grill than having it just wide open. Would love to hear some feedback, thanks in advance!

Most manufacturers don't offer any way to close off the chimney, and for good reason. They're not naturally aspirating like charcoal. The fan pushes x-amount of air in, so it needs that outlet. I would not recommend closing off the chimney unless yours has a damper and the manual recommends it.

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep. Agreed.

• eschmid2
      eschmid2 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Huskey for feedback - I agree and would not consider completely closing the vent while cooking - my question was more wide open or any adjustment for partial closure to facilitate more smoke circulation in the grill. Reponses so far are to keep it wide open!

Wide open is the way….

Comment

FITW, I keep mine wide open.

Comment

Supposedly most pellet grill manufacturers are eliminating adjustable stack covers, for most of the grills you want it wide open for airflow and combustion purposes.

Comment

Definitely don't want to restrict the airflow for temperature control purposes. I had a RecTec that had a cover and it's purpose was for keeping out rain.

Comment

All, thanks so much for all of your replies - it is a consistent "keep it wide open" ! Love this forum and all the expert advice and feedback - saved me a lot of time and experiments and maybe even my grill - thanks everyone !!

Comment

A pellet cooker has to have the exhaust wide open to allow the positive pressure go somewhere. If you aren't getting the smoke profile you desire better to try a smoke tube or do what I did and get a LSG pellet grill. Let us know what you decide and how it works out.

Comment

I have an Grilla OG, which doesn't have a smoke stack, just some vents on the leading edge of the door. Hard to explain, easier to show it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180722_203436.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1367124

Also have a Blaz'n Grid Iron, with no adjustment on the smoke stack. I have some guys try to make a baffle, but all they seem to do is screw up the airflow.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here