Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp probe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp probe

I have a Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet smoker.
    The temp seems to be off compared to th Maverick 732 Redi check.

GM set to 300 Redi Chek reads 250.

Which do think is more correct?

Am I splitting hairs.

Thanks
    JR

Get some water boiling and place the Maverick in it. It should read ~ 212°, but will change as your elevation above sea level gets higher.

Also, placement of the probes within the cooker will affect the temps. Try placing the Maverick close to the GM probe.

Comment

Thanks I moved the Maverick over to the GM probe and now it’s pretty close.

Comment

Have you tested for hot/cold spots? Place slices of bread evenly spaced on the grate and close the lid. Check every few minutes. If the bread darkens more quickly in one area, that is a hot spot, or if one spot darkens slower, it's a cool spot.

If you have hot or cool spots, you can use that to your advantage if several things are cooking at different rates.

Or you can possibly avoid a certain area...

Comment

You bring up a very good point. Namely, know your cooker!
        Happy BBQ to you and PBR too.

Comment

As long as the temps are consistently different, then all you have to do is adjust your setpoint for the actual temp you want at the grate level. If you are getting large swings in the difference, then one or the other may have an issue.

Comment

I always test my thermometers with ice water and boiling water to make sure 32 and 212 respectively. Also agree with checking for hotspots on your cooker too.

Once you know if you can trust your thermometers or know how far off they are you can plan your cooks incorporating that information and knowing the hot and cold spots on your rig. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info. I'm still learning.!!

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                You, me, and everyone else here are in the same boat. We all learn from each other. That's what makes this place the best value on the interweb.

agreed

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here