Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMG Pizza oven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG Pizza oven

I bought one a month or so ago, and I am having trouble getting it to work the way I think it should work. The instructions say to set the grill temp to 350, but the stone registers between 850-900 degrees using a thermopro laser. I have dialed the grill temp back to get the stone in the 600-700 degree range, but the grill temp setting is only at 190 degrees, which means the toppings aren't getting done before the crust is starting to burn. I have cleaned the temp sensor, used my fireboard probes to validate the grill's temp sensor, made sure the settings are for pizza mode is on, etc.. I am to the point of just using it to get the crust the way I want and popping it into the oven on broil to finish the toppings, which seems like a waste..

Before I kill another pizza tonight, any thoughts on what I might want to try different?

Maybe ordering a pizza us a better idea?

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I live about 30 minutes from the nearest pizza place, and no one will deliver, so we have started cooking a lot more at home... Pizza is the next item to master.

Maybe a pizza baking screen would help. That way, once the bottom is starting to brown, you take it off the stone:

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      I bought one, but all it did was stick to it and then burn... I am starting to get a little frustrated with my results.

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you put the raw dough on it, or did you cook the pie on the stone for a few minutes? I'd cook it a bit first to cook the dough so that it won't stick to the screen.
      Last edited by RonB; July 29, 2021, 03:35 PM.

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Nope, the dough is raw as Huskee Sorry Huskee, I just needed someone to make fun of... Someday you will get that $20 bill with your name on it naming me the 1st place winner....

you can also use your pizza peel to hold the pizza closer to the roof of the dome once the crust is ready and that will isolate heat for the toppings. You may want to look at how much topping you are putting on the pizza. I find with my GMG pizza oven it works best with thin crust pizza that is easy on the cheese and toppings. I use with my grill temp at 285

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmmmm, that is worth exploring... The pizzas usually only have pepperoni/jalapenos one one and green peppers/red onions/mushroom on the other, so now all I have to do is fashion a peel holder so that it doesn't mess with my beer hand... Thanks, that really is worth thinking about.

Have you tried cooking one per the recommendations? Just curious if the crust just burns on bottom no time or what? Generally places test things before writing up instructions and selling them or at least you’d hope they did. However, they could have focused on a particular style of pizza. IR thermometers are great, but can be inaccurate on certain surfaces, usually that’s super shiny like stainless though.

Comment

• tstalafuse
      tstalafuse commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy WHAT!!!! a gold medal recommendation is gimmicky!!!! Okay, I get it isn't a $2k pizza oven, but I would still like it to produce something my wife will eat,.. I will pretty much eat anything that doesn't eat me first, which explains my belt size.. The first few attempts have been scrape offs, put on a flour tortilla and eat the next day... The nearest Pizza the Hut is over an hour a way, so I am not trying to be picky...

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      tstalafuse I’m not suggesting you’re being too picky. You bought something and you want it to work. Doesn’t GMG also do a rotisserie? For a wood fired convection oven with no direct heat? There’s a reason not many even bother to try. Anyway back to pizza oven I hear good things about the GMG one, so I hope you figure it out. Does that run lid open or closed? If open any chance wind is affecting to much? How old is your grill? Any changes GMG might have made so it works better on newer grills?
      Last edited by glitchy; July 29, 2021, 09:16 PM.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Or you can convince the wife you need a dedicated pizza oven? Maybe you or she bakes a lot and could use that for other stuff too ;-)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here