Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GMG Daniel Boone Prime pellet smoker - storage question -OR- Get a Gateway 55

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GMG Daniel Boone Prime pellet smoker - storage question -OR- Get a Gateway 55

I am considering purchasing a GMG Daniel Boone smoker. I will also get a cover for it. However, I have no shed and no extra room in the garage to store the smoker. It will be outside with cover on it. Will this be okay? Should I remove excess pellets remaining in the hopper and store outside of the smoker? Someone mentioned weather could be an issue with pellets in the hopper if the smoker is outside. If there is no difference in storing it outside, then it will work for me. Otherwise I can't spend the money on this type of smoker. Please let me know. Thank you.

Alternatively, I am thinking about getting a Gateway 55 pit barrel smoker.

Preferences? Thoughts?

Thank you.

Many pellet grills are stored outside with hoppers full of pellets and never have problems, especially with covers. All depends on your specific conditions and how often it will set long periods unused. With no roof over it, I’d consider draining it if it was going to be weeks before I used it again personally, but you’d still likely be fine.

Comment

First thing to consider is that pellet poopers have moving parts and barrel smokers don't Both cook.

Comment

Yup. There should be no issues storing the pellet smoker outside, covered, and with pellets in. Like glitchy said though, if you don’t plan to use it for a few weeks, might be best to remove them with the HD vacuums heads for 5 gallon buckets for easy storage.

For the Gateway, I honestly have a hard time paying up for it over the Oklahoma Joe Bronco.

Beyond the obvious difference of charcoal versus pellet and the taste preferences, I would also point out the challenge of refueling on long cooks in terms of getting a ton of smoke in your face and having to remove the food for the barrel cookers. You would also need to monitor the barrel cooker more to adjust temps unless you want to invest $300 into a Fireboard.

Comment

My pellet grill is outside with a cover. No problem.
          I live in NW Oregon. It does rain here.
          Most problems with a pellet grill are the pellets will absorb moisture.
          Happy grilling to you and PBR too.
          Last edited by bbqLuv; May 2, 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Wonderful comments! Thank you very much. This really helps to guide me on a pellet smoker.

Comment

I've got a GMG Daniel Boone with a cover. I've stored it outside at the beach and now in the snow in Wyoming. I simply remove the pellets from the hopper after every cook (just in case) and I've never had a problem.

Comment

I got my Daniel Boone about four years ago. Keep it on my deck outside with a cover on it. I have never removed pellets between cooks. That could mean pellets sitting in the hopper for a few weeks during the humid summer months or maybe a few months during winter if I don't decide to fire it up. Have never had an issue.

Comment

Great to know from both of you. That helps a lot for me to know as the person at the store I was looking at the smoker is a competition BBQer and he thought it might be an issue. Of course he keeps his smokers in a covered building, etc. So glad to know not a problem. I figured the least I could do would be as Deaf Arty mentioned and remove them after each smoke. (Hope the removal of pellets and clean out from the auger are not too difficult or time consuming if that is what I choose to do. KC area gets very humid in the summer; I also leave my other smoker out all year covered.)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here