Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jim Bowie Prime Plus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jim Bowie Prime Plus

After suffering paralysis by analysis for months, I had an opportunity to lay my hands on one at a store, and they are truly built heavy duty (230lbs of heavy), which surprised me. It also surprised me to find that one had jumped into the back of my truck along with the appropriate accessories. Despite my repeated commands to get out ,it refused. Fortunately, it was on my short list of 3 at my price point/features, so I think/hope I made a good decision/purchase.

Since I am not a writer like glitchy , I won't be giving an A to Z review. I will say that this model is very heavy duty, and despite the heft of the grill, assembly was pretty easy (just a few WTF moments) for one person to complete. Of course, I am an IKEA ninja level assembly master.

Given that I only managed the assembly, burn in, and WIFI setup today, I can only say to whomever wrote the WIFI setup instructions in the owner's manual and tutorials in the app that you should die a very slow and painful death.. "to setup the WIFI, it is recommend to reset the WIFI settings to the factory settings and download firmware updates first. In order to reset the unit, unplug, and while holding down the FOOD button, plug the unit back in.." I am still looking for the FOOD button that is clearly shown in the picture, and a whole section of instructions to start and complete the setup. I hate tech writers.

Tomorrow, I will attempt to calibrate the temperature sensor using the same poorly written instructions and attempt a smoked chicken. Thoughts and prayers for my blood pressure levels would be appreciated.

PS. If any owners know where the FOOD button is located (or how to reset the WIFI), or have any other tips/tricks I would appreciate a heads up...

You sound like an untrained mechanic that was sent to work on one of the Taylor ice cream machines at a McDonald's.

Glad you got what looks like a solid buy, congrats!!

Comment

Congrats on your new rig! Sorry about the instructions, I’ll talk to my sister about that, but she’s come so far overcoming dyslexia and getting a good job and I’m proud of her anyway.

Comment

The manual available online seems to be correct. Sounds like the manual you got had the instructions for the Davey Crockett rather than the Jim Bowie.

Click image for larger version

Name:	jimbowie.png
Views:	357
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	1025888

Comment

• tstalafuse
          tstalafuse commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. Unfortunately, the owner's manual, and the tutorial have the exact same instructions. You would think they would update those for their highest end model, but at least it is on their website.

The food button is also on the older models and is the button used to display probe temp rather than the smoker temp.
        Last edited by JCGrill; May 2, 2021, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker. It looks like you have received the proper help.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here