Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter smoking - do I need a blanket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winter smoking - do I need a blanket

It is getting cold out. Thought I'd buy an insulated blanket for my 36" Woodwind - but can't find one anywhere. So... First question is what sorts of adjustments to make when it is cold and not using a blanket.

And second question would a welder's blanket work as a substitute? Other suggestions.

Thanks,
    Barry

Harbor Freight welding blankets work great.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
      Deaf Arty commented
      Editing a comment
      +1

Click image for larger version

Name:	C0D82253-2CCC-4CCA-ABB3-19502AA9CDA5.jpeg
Views:	704
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	942237 I have a blanket for my Recteq. Factory supplied by them. I find it to work very well at keeping the temps rock solid at the set point. This allows the pellet feed to "rest" as intended and thus allow for more smoke. Also, it keeps fuel consumption pretty much at normal levels.

Comment

I have a welders blanket on my CC and it works like a charm at a 5th of the price.

Comment

Do you need one? No. It will smoke just fine without one. But you will observe differences in the cook, like things taking longer, using more fuel, etc. I'm too lazy to bother with it, I still get good results.

Comment

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          Totally agree.

• STEbbq
          STEbbq commented
          Editing a comment
          Exactly my thoughts.

A blanket of some sort will help hold temps a little better and will cut down on fuel consumption. Does that make it worth the investment? That's up to you. The real benefit of a blanket, in my opinion, is the it helps block the wind. No matter what the temp is outside, wind will muck up your temps. I have the Camp Chef branded one on my DLX 24, and I like it.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Agreed.
          Don't have a pellet smoker but the winds play havoc with my BKK.

More pellets is the only real adjustment you should notice.

Comment

Welders Blanket. 6x6 ~ $80 may have to cut top fit. I just googled it. may have to get one for my pellet grill.
          Glad you asked.

Comment

• Donw
            Donw commented
            Editing a comment
            The Harbor Freight welding blankets work well and they are in the 18-29 dollar range so you can save a little money if you wished.

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Thx there is a Harbor Freight with in a few miles.

I generally jus wears me some Carhartts, and sip either bourbon, or schnapps - no blanket.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            This was my thoughts exactly.. got to be quick around this place if ya have a goofy answer!!

• DavidNorcross
            DavidNorcross commented
            Editing a comment
            Best post of the day Mr. Bones BTW, love Carhartts!

• smokin fool
            smokin fool commented
            Editing a comment
            I still smoke in shorts in the winter, I have my fat to keep me warm.
            Stick you can or glass in the nearest snow bank and drink it neat.

Welders blanket is a must on my little COS. I find myself using it to adjust temps more so than the vents. I've got down to a fine art haha

Comment

A bbq competitor told me this summer that he didn't think welding blankets were a good idea to use for insulating smokers
            because if made of fiberglass some of that could get on the food. I don't know how likely or dangerous that is but thought I should pass it on for comments/thoughts/warnings.

Comment

I use non fiberglass welding blankets. They work great. I got mine at Northern Tool. Carbon Felt Welding Blanket.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	54170_2000x2000.jpg
Views:	519
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	942481

Comment

• willxfmr
                willxfmr commented
                Editing a comment
                My first thought was, $95?!?!
                Then I remembered what I paid for mine through Camp Chef. I'll give ya a hint. It was more that $95.

• phrogpilot73
                phrogpilot73 commented
                Editing a comment
                Amazon has a number of carbon felt welding blankets for cheaper.

Thanks for all the replies I like the welding blanket and the Carhartts ideas since they are both multitasking tools...
              Barry

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
                I use non fiberglass welding blankets. They work great. I got mine at Northern Tool. Carbon Felt Welding Blanket.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	54170_2000x2000.jpg Views:	36 Size:	677.8 KB ID:	942481
                Completely ignorant to welding blankets, what’s the difference between fiberglass blankets and carbon felt? Are fiberglass more likely to shed?

And what do you all use to keep it in place? Is there a heat resistant strap?
                Last edited by Razor; November 22, 2020, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Deaf Arty
                  Deaf Arty commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just put a canvas bag with a few pounds of sand on top of the blanket on top of the cooker. Works in Wyoming wind. The welding blanket shields the canvas from heat.

It depends on where you want to smoke. For example, if you smoke on the balcony, I think you will need a blanket if you don't want to catch a cold. I remember when I was sixteen years old I was smoking a lot. I didn't want my mother to know it. That winter they went asking with my little brother, I wanted to stay at some. I was smoking in front of the house or on the balcony and I was covering my body with a weighted blanket for kids. It was my brother's blanket. I was very terrified when they came home and my brother asked why his blanket is smelling like cigarettes.
                Last edited by CameronAlsop; January 10, 2021, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here