Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vertical XXL first smoke!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vertical XXL first smoke!

I received my Camp Chef Vertical Smoker yesterday so I put it together yesterday, did the initial burn, and did two racks of ribs today!

I want to use it a few more times before giving an impression but this smoker holds a temp much more consistently than my Louisiana Vertical. The Camp Chef vertical is NOT sealed well compared to the Louisiana Vertical though.

I smoked at 225, 3 hours unwrapped / 2 hours butcher paper / 1 hour unwrapped.

it turned out great! The butcher paper is awesome. I like using it more than tin foil.

EDIT - I added a picture of the last rib. The smoke level on the two racks was vastly different for some reason. The top one was far better than the bottom rack. The top rack had much more smoke.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by jasoncross11; October 30, 2020, 06:16 AM.

Looks good. But you do have a few leaks. Any ribs left?

Comment

Those ribs look great!

Comment

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! The cook was much better than my timing control board Louisiana Vertical, but the smoke was far less. That said, the meat itself was incredible. I need to control some extra variables and continue testing to get more smoke.

Gotta admit, I was unhappy with smoke leakage from my Masterbuilt propane vertical smoker, but I find that it appears to be true that it could always be worse. Thanks for helping me feel better, LOL!

Seriously, glad you are enjoying your new smoker. It may help to pick up some Lava-Lok gasket tape from your local hardware store.

Comment

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        It is fun! I emailed them about the leaks on the bottom and around the door. Camp Chef said the leak around the door was by design, but they didn't comment on the leaks from the bottom around the fire pot. Frankly, I don't think it is intentional since the burn rate with this smoker is fffassssttt.

The ribs look great. Perhaps those leaks are by design? Hope so..

Comment

• jasoncross11
        jasoncross11 commented
        Editing a comment
        Supposedly the leaks around the door are by design, but I can't imagine the leaks around the bottom where the fire box is are intentional.

"Olde Smoky"

Comment

I've had a few cookers that had vents that seemed to be there for looks only. As long as it performs well and is reasonably close to your set point, hey no big deal right?

Comment

• jasoncross11
          jasoncross11 commented
          Editing a comment
          It seems like the burn rate is pretty fast. It produced a bunch of smoke at the beginning, but the smoke level of the ribs was noticeably less than the Louisiana Vertical I had before, but the temp held very well at least. I also set it to smoke setting 10. I am going to use the pellet brand that I normally do and see the result. I mention since I tried a new brand from Sam's club so maybe it wasn't the smoker!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          jasoncross11 be sure to put your meat in the cooker before you even turn it on, let it sit in that cloud of startup smoke, don't waste it!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here