Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Please explain P settings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please explain P settings

I had Traegers for years and got good smoke. When I needed a new smoker I bought a Camp Chef. Works great, holds temp within 1-2 degrees (Traeger did not) BUT I don't get much smoke. Have tried 4-5 brands of pellets but no better. Called Camp Chef and they didn't have any answers.
    I read somewhere there is a P setting which controls the amount of smoke. Customer service at CC said there is no such thing.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

What model do you have?

On my CampChef Woodwind, there is no such a setting as the one you mention.

From the users manual: The grill has 13 cook settings. Low Smoke, High Smoke, 175, 200, 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, and High. By selecting any of these the grill will go into the Startup mode. The digital readout will display "START" for 8 minutes during the startup cycle.

From personal experience, if by chance you don’t have a probe installed, and the probe temp button is pressed in, the unit can’t give you a temp reading, so it sends an error message. Make sure your probe button is disabled when not using a probe.

Hope this helps.

Ricardo

Comment

Hi Clark,

I am a new to this site as well. I have a Traeger and it has P setting. I don't know about CC. If you need help with the Traeger P setting just Google Traeger P setting adjustment. There are some good Youtube videos. Hope this helps.

Comment

Doing a minimal amount of data search it appears that the term "P setting" is unique to Traeger so it follows other companies may not understand that terminology. The "P" seems to stand for "pause" relative to the auger feed operation. So it seems likely that you'll need to find out either from your owners manual, online or otherwise, or a call to customer service, to find out if and how to adjust the auger feed rate. It's debated among pellet heads as to whether this actually amends the amount of smoke provided, so it may be one of those "if you believe it does, it does" things.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Uncle Bob, for a logical explanation. As I mentioned, CC customer service didn't know what I was talking about nor is there any mention in the owner's manual.
          Adjusting the auger feed rate would then probably alter the temps. I like the temp accuracy, just don't like the lack of smoke. I think I will probably just go back to charcoal so I can control smoke and temp, thus getting the flavor that we all like.
          Thanks for your help!!

Sorry Clark, but CC’s controller does not allow you to manage its internal settings. Many people have installed either SmokeDaddy’s PID or a Savannah Stoker PID controller to replace the stock CC controller.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Geezer; Thanks for your help. As I mentioned to Uncle Bob above, I think I'll just go back to good old charcoal.
          Thanks!!

Clark,

Have you considered using a smoke tube in your grill? Since pellet grills are notorious for having less smoke flavor than other types of grills, I always use a smoke tube on all my cooks. I bought this one on Amazon Prime:
        Pellet Smoker Tube. You could also go with the A-MAZE-N Pellet Tube Smoker, but it costs more. Just a thought.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for your suggestion and I'll take a look at a tube. However, I have decided on getting a Hasty Bake and am in the process of "convincing" my wife that we need to buy one. Happy smoking!

Camp Chef sells their new PID WiFi controller as a retrofit item ($250). This controller has a separate"Smoke Control" setting (range 1-10) in addition to the temperate control, The Smoke setting generated more smoke by allowing a greater temp swing than the nornally tight PID controller does.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here