Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Woodwind arrives today. What to cook first and learning to cook with a pellet grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update - Yesterday, I spent an additional 3 hours assembling the grill. Total time is above 4 hours, but that includes dealing with a number of issues. I expect that is well above the typical assembly time. The day did end on an up note with a successful burn-in. A thunderstorm prevented a first cook. That will happen later today.

My concerns with QC continue. The slide rods for the heat deflector are held in place with screws in the rod end. These were supposed to be installed at the factory. The rear rod was disconnect on the right side, although the screw remained in place. When I tried to reattach, both ends were stripped. I contacted Camp Chef and they again asked for pictures.

I purchased the BBQ Grill Box and it too arrived damaged. The latch that holds the lid in place is bent. I've been able to bend it enough to get it to work and it is not a major problem, but just another sign of poor QC.

I haven't reported the chipped paint on the lower shelf an will just use some touch-up paint.

Now all the good stuff.
    This thing is REALLY big. The start up/setup is very nice. I haven't been able to get my phone to connect, but the large LCD is easy to read and to use. Excited to be cooking later today.

More later.

Thanks,
    Barry
    Attached Files

Comment

I got a Woodwind WIFI 24 with the sidekick and grill box also.. love it! I suggest chicken also as it is quick... i have done pork butt, chuck roast, chicken, and pork tenderloin so far..

Comment

• BarryT
        BarryT commented
        Editing a comment
        Can't get the WiFi to work. I'm have an Android phone and I've read there may be problems with the app. I keep getting a failed update. Is ti working for you?

• Fire&Water
        Fire&Water commented
        Editing a comment
        yes mine works fine, but I am on IOS..

First cook went well. Only hitches were I couldn't get the app to work and second, I screwed up pictures. Before I started, I installed the optional front shelf. It was a simple five minute process and I'm very glad I made the purchase. Very handy.

I decided to do a comparative cook of a simple chicken-under-a-brick that is a favorite Weber charcoal grill dish. I normally grill the spatchcock chicken on indirect heat for about an hour. I start with the chicken cut in half for easier handling and place a very large brick on each half.. I brown the chicken over direct heat for just a minute or so when the temp at the thigh reaches 165.

I started the Woodwind at 350 on smoke level 2. It took just about a hour for the chicken to reach 165. I made a rookie mistake by not properly oiling the grates and I did have some sticking on both the smoker and the BBQ box. You can see from the picture the color is great, but the skin has be torn in several places.

The real test here was my wife's assessment. She gave the chicken an outstanding. The chicken was very moist and the smoke level just right for her. I totally agree. I'm very impressed.

Ready to start with some longer cooks. I'll probably do a pork butt or ribs tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I plan to update this thread as I continue to work with Camp Chef on the warranty issues and on getting the app to work.

Barry
      Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Glad to see you had a good first cook! Hopefully you will get all problems resolved and be happy with the cooker long term.

Looks like a good cooker, look forward to hearing your opinion.

Comment

Always exciting to see your cooker for the first time.

Comment

Congrats on the new cooker and the first cook. Always exciting to have the first cook.

Comment

Let us see the result.

Comment

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              What cookers do you have, and what do you like to cook? Please tell us about yourself.

Just a reminder this is a 3 year old topic dug up by a new Trial member.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here