Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now starting at back patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After the journey that you have been through recently, I am so happy for you (and your wife).

Now you can just focus on creating some excellent food for you and family!

At the end of the day that is really what this is all about.

Comment

I'm trying to decide between the sear box and the sidekick w/grill box. Long term I'd like to get the pizza oven. You didn't seem to be impressed with the sear box. Has that changed?

Barry

Comment

• willxfmr
        willxfmr commented
        Editing a comment
        I have the sear box on my DLX 24, and if you're looking to buy one, I'll sell you mine cheap. I have tried using it a dozen times or so, but always ended up frustrated by it. The main issue I have is trying to get any sort of consistent temp at the cooking surface. I have tried lower flame settings, pre-heating for up to 30 minutes, but have never been happy with how it performs. The last time I used it, I took the propane tank off of it, and used the rest of the tank for my garage heater.

Originally posted by BarryT View Post
      I'm trying to decide between the sear box and the sidekick w/grill box. Long term I'd like to get the pizza oven. You didn't seem to be impressed with the sear box. Has that changed?

Barry
      BarryT I'm far from qualified to help you make that call. I've used mine a grand total of 5 minutes. I was not WOW'd for sure, but I may not have let it warm up long enough or somehow otherwise used it incorrectly. It worked fine, I was sort of expecting a crazy and fast sear with 700-900 degree advertised temps.

Depending on what other cookers you have, the sidekick would definitely be more versatile. I didn't have much interest in a griddle or a pizza oven so I chose the sear box just to reverse sear and am waiting for GrillGrates to decide more how I feel about it's performance. There's a lot to be said for the all over sear a flat top can provide to cover the reverse searing with the sidekick as well.
      Last edited by glitchy; March 2, 2020, 03:19 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        A friend in Orlando with the Woodwind got Grillgrates on my recommendation, and is much happier with the sear box now than he was before.

Thanks, I hope you will keep writing about your experiences. I cook more pizza than steaks, but I also have a small metal wood fired oven for that. That is not a quick method so I bake indoors on a stone in really cold weather or directly on my Weber gas grill if I'm in a hurry in milder weather. So I don't "need" another pizza oven, but it would be nice.

Barry

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        I think the extra $200 they want for the sidekick with its griddle is pretty steep. The 14" Campchef stoves start at $110 list price, and work with all the same accessories. The main advantage would be having it in the same footprint as the Woodwind I suppose. If you have a Weber gas grill and a pizza oven already... I would be tempted to just get the Woodwind with NO sear box or side kick, just the side table, and save the cash. You already have a good gas grill for searing and more.

You will never be sorry that you built a patio. The house starts to look better and this is a very good place where you can spend some time relaxing. I have a patio at home and I take dinners there with my family and also drink coffee in the morning. The most difficult is to choose some outside furniture. It needs to be qualitative and durable. Luckily when I started to make my patio I found an online store with a big variety of outside furniture. I easily found the furniture I want. I think that wooden furniture is the best. It looks very great outside.
      Last edited by RebeccaHUF; February 19, 2021, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here